Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do people own or rent property where you come from?
Another thread about moving house made me think about this, and since we have people from all over the globe I thought I'd put this out there.

In the UK, there are high expectations to own your own property, especially once people get into their late 20s and older. Admitting to renting often causes pitiful looks and supportive words from family and friends. I've heard this is a british thing but I wondered how this worked in other countries?

What kind of proportion of people own their own property in your region?

Property owners are not thought of as different, here in the USA......unless you own LOTS of property or have a HUGE house or mansion.

Most people would like to have homes here also, but there are SO many restrictions, problems, and fee's for every goddamned thing you do in order to buy a house.........if you dont have "ready cash", then you just cant get a house.

If it weren't for all the bullshit, "hoops", and useless fee's and charges you have to pay and put up with in order to get a house, I would have had one a long time ago.

Ok, so just to clarify homes...

When you say homes, I take it you mean registered dwellings? < SA is a 4th world country, things are different>

That being said, I would guess 40 % rent 50 % own....

Now don't get sll upperty with me....

the other 10 % live for free at tax-payer's expense, courtesy of goverment fraud and curruption

Like Tinks said, renting is not abnormal at all here in the States. The way the economy is going lately, it's even the norm in most areas here until you've become successful in some way. I don't even think I know anyone in my circle of friends who owns their own house. My parents do, but they've gone through all those steps in a different decade in order to get there.

I've always rented because I haven't quite reached that point in my life. I would like to eventually buy a house once things are more stable for me, but who's to say when that will be?

Well I live in the UK as well - London no less! And here all you can do is rent. I admit I own a little flat but only because of generous relatives, savings, etc. But I have a shitload of debt and I mean DEBT! So really I have sweet rien!

But I get by. I don't like it in a way because of the insecurity but I'd rather be in this position than rely on some greedy, corrupt bastard of a landlord like my previous landlord who only thinks of money and won't make essential repairs. I am not fond of landlords, sorry but privatising so much social housing and placing it in the hands of these bent bastards has fucked up the housing market big time!

In Italy when you're in the right age 'to create a family' the house is in some way a part of the family.
Italian gives a big importance in the 'home', imho even more than British (from what has been my experience in UK).
So, in general, when there's a wedding, the parents helps the couple to buy an house, and even when they're renting the house, they try to have a very long contract and re-decorate the house spending money in that.
We're into spending a lot of time in the house, and if it's possible have a lunch and a dinner everyday, with the rest of the family, etc...
Of course with this bad economical situation this is less common than in the past...

trialbyerror Wrote:Now don't get sll upperty with me....

the other 10 % live for free at tax-payer's expense, courtesy of goverment fraud and curruption
We have those in the UK as well - well living at the Taxpayer's expense. I don't think we have much fraud or corruption, relatively speaking, thankfully.

In Ireland most people own, though of those who do I'd say 50% are in serious jeopardy due to the frivolous lending by the banks

Tulloni Wrote:I am not fond of landlords, sorry but privatising so much social housing and placing it in the hands of these bent bastards has fucked up the housing market big time!
I think one problem in the UK is that some landlords own so many houses and apartments that it is squeezing out buyers who want a home for themselves. A friend I had from university owns 50 - FIFTY!- houses he rents. I'd like to see a law where a person can only own 2 or 3 houses to rent.

Renting is normal. Do you consider a condo 'owned' property? In bigger cities, people gravitate towards condos because they get to rent, but the prices are enormous, upwards of 500 000 and even $1 000 000. Many people rent, and no one bats an eye.

The only time you get a pitiful look is if you're renting from a joke of a land lord, and your apartment/house is a piece of shit.

We have extensive rights that protect tenants in Ontario, and the opportunity for a land lord to swindle you is greatly reduced by recording phone calls and getting things in writing. I have lived in an owned house, a rented town house, a rented apartment, and a rented house. Admittedly I was young when I lived in the owned house, but no one has ever given me strange looks when told I rent.

Hope that answers.