Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you care about the personality of a director/writer/musician etc.?
Its their personalities, mixed with whats going on in their lives that gives them the artistic direction they take.

Interfere with that, and it has side effects to their art.

I would care if they are a violent person, I dont want to be spending my money on someone who purposely hurts others for the hell of it. But if they are just assholes with ambition, then I dont mind.
Just dont cross my path with that attitude.

SolemnBoy Wrote:Although it may affect credibility which in some cases ruins the actual quality of the work?

Depends on what exactly the work is, if it is something which expects to carry its meaning based on authority of the author, like a self-help book or a memoir, then the identity of the author might be contiguous with the value of the work though I'd still say theoretically they are separate entities. However, in terms of aesthetic or moral merit the identity of the author should not matter. Leni Riefenstahl's achievements as a film maker are evident from her innovations in cinematography even though the subject and goal of her films was to make Hitler look good. Of course, Riefenstahl's film career was also ruined by her being a Nazi, even though many film critics have considered her the greatest female director of the 20th Century. There is good reason not to support someone like Riefenstahl, but that doesn't change anything about the quality of the work they produce.

Good question solemnboy

Directors - I think not, I,ll judge by there work and won't go out of my way to find out about them personally, after all they are behind the camera. But like, i,ll stick watch Polanski's "Rosemary's baby" i dont really care.

Books - same really, i,ll read anything and either continue reading it or stop (as i dont feel compelled, like some to finish every book i begin) based on its merit

Musicians, particully pop stars is different, some are so bland in real life, theyve won the x factor, despite the fact they dont have the x factor, or a recognizable personality, other pop "stars" too. Though legitimate artists, i,ll judge by there work

Well I must say it kind of made me happy when Ricky Martin came out.... But otherwise, I don't know. Sometimes we'd prefer not to know and be able to like the work for what it is.