Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you find the term Guncle offensive?
Uncle Oreo? What on earth?

I do think you are taking a harmless and amusing word such as Guncle a little to seriously.
You may see it as insulting, but I would see it as a term of endearment, in the way that only a child could show such acceptance and love by calling you a nickname.

As a gay uncle to 9, I find the the word fucking stupid. Of course, I was a marine in my younger day and liked and enjoyed having fights with men. Call me guncle and I will punch you in your stupid mouth. Really creepy if you ask me.

Isn't this one of those cases where it depends on tone and context?

Benevolent use:

Martin, 5: My guncle and his husband are the best persons in the world! c:

Negative use:

Ronald, 35: Stupid guncle, go back to San Francisco where you and others of your kind belong!

TheButchQueen Wrote:Guncle = Gay Uncle. Although it's intended in jest or as a term of endearment. The term Guncle seems offensive to me. I wouldn't call my Chinese uncle a Chuncle or my quadriplegic niece a quadriniece...

So what do you think? Guncle, offensive or not?

I actually thought gruncle meant grumpy uncle xD
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

My 7 year old niece loves her favourite Guncle! Well actually she's never called me that but knows that I'm gay only because my brother (her Dad) explained it to her. I've never actually heard of it until I read this thread, I don't think I'd like being called a "Guncle" though.

bluefox4000 Wrote:I find it funny as hell as a culture we need to Shorten EVERYTHING. lol

Mick

Blame Lewis Caroll.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wave;
All mimsy were the borogroves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

According to Humpty Dumpty, slithy = lithe and slimy. Mimsy = flimsy and miserable.

The term guncle is I think kind of offensive. By only referring to your uncle as your gay uncle you are therefore defining him by the fact that he is gay and are ignoring the fact that he also a complex, and hopefully more interesting human being. That being said, guncle is damn fun to say.

I have a Guncle

TheButchQueen Wrote:Thanks for your replies. I DO find the word Guncle offensive. And if my nieces and nephews called me Guncle I think my heart would break. I'm their Uncle, not their Guncle. I have a niece who's quadriplegic, would it be offensive to call her my quadriniece? I also have an uncle who's half black and white, would it be offensive if I called him Uncle Oreo? I'm sure there are some who wouldnt be offended by Guncle, may even find it cute. However I'm about my nieces and nephews respecting me, and calling me Guncle IMO is not respectful.

I wouldn't see it as offensive, more like people trying to be cool by sounding cosmopolitan, unless of course I asked them to stop (guess that would be either G'Aunt or L'Aunt for me...) and they didn't. Obviously they should respect your wishes.

But then I don't consider being gay the same as being quadriplegic.

And if I may be pedantic for a minute (does that make me a potential P'Aunt...hmm, sounds a bit like "piss ant" :o ) someone biracial as your uncle is colloquially known (outside of polite company) as a "zebra" (half black & white), whereas an "oreo" is "black on the outside, white on the inside." (Tip, never, ever call anyone black this as many literally find it more offensive than the N-word, I know one who can't even stand the sight of actual Oreo cookies because of his being called this a lot.) That said I bet a black guy who married into a white family wouldn't want to be called "buncle" by anyone...