Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you own an HP printer?
If you do then this article might be of interest to you:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hp-drm-kill...artridges/

Personally I use Canon and I always buy third party cartridges and have never had a problem.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I have an older Photosmart C7280... It does have DRM cartridges. Doesn't prevent you from using 3rd party cartridges but it will kindly let you know you're not using "Genuine HP cartridges"

The cartridges also expire, you get a warning message about that voiding the warranty. So they expect you go throw out a cartridge that is otherwise fine and still has ink and buy a new one.

However it is good to know. Cannon has some die hard followers. I know one guy who buys a specific model and refills the ink himself, also a retired aerospace engineer...so he can do whatever he wants lol

Not to go off topic, while I live in the boonies and there's not much for gay dating I have met a lot of interesting people. We have a large retiree community, a lot of folks move up here after they retire and I have met several people who either worked for NASA, one actually had his designs put to use on the Voyager space craft, something dealing with the radio or antenna.

Anyway, back to the main discussion. Keurig was another company that tried to make use of DRM. They tried making so that you can only buy Keurig branded K-cups in their coffee makers. So I really feel bad for anyone who bought a Keurig 2.0... the only difference is that HP lets you use it, Keurig doesn't. Might have misspelled it, I don't own one and for the way things have been going for me might not be able to drink coffee anymore Sad
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Printer ink ranks as some of the most expensive liquid in the world:

http://visual.ly/printer-ink-most-expens...quid-world

Which is why I buy my cartridges from here:

http://www.tiendacartucho.es/

Thwe site is in Spanish but it's relatively easy to see what your catridges might cost you. Unfortunately they don't ship outside of Spain

There was a site I looked at years ago called http://www.doubleinks.com

I never actually bought anything from them, but I print so little it doesn't make much difference... and who know when this printer is going to kick the bucket too lol, someone gave it to me lol
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

The other thing that is deeply irritating is that most printers waste ink just by turning them on...

Ever take one apart? You'll find several cotton tanks that the printer spits ink into for "preparation"... As far as I am concerned it is nothing but waste. Same was the "waste toner" box in laser printers.
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:The other thing that is deeply irritating is that most printers waste ink just by turning them on...

Ever take one apart? You'll find several cotton tanks that the printer spits ink into for "preparation"... As far as I am concerned it is nothing but waste. Same was the "waste toner" box in laser printers.

One little tip is never change the cartridges even when your computer advises you that the ink is low. Leave it until the actual printer refuses to pring. That is when the ink cartidge is empty. When it is "low" it will go on printing for quite a few pages.

LONDONER Wrote:One little tip is never change the cartridges even when your computer advises you that the ink is low. Leave it until the actual printer refuses to pring. That is when the ink cartidge is empty. When it is "low" it will go on printing for quite a few pages.

Oh yeah, I wait until it refuses to print and HP is well pretty forceful about that. I don't replace the cartridges until they are empty...

I also think that you should either refrain from power cycling the printer often, as it goes through it's start up routine the printer will end up wasting ink on each power up...
Check out my stuff!