Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you see a psychologist?
After my mother's death my family and I went to see a therapist. I honestly really liked it and it was nice to talk about how I felt. I couldn't talk about everything of course, because my family was around. Thinking about it, maybe I should have came out then... but then with my mom's death that might have made things worse.

Anyways, my dad didn't like it and cancelled the sessions. Sad
If I ask him to go I know he'll just mock me.

I should seek out professional help but I dont for various reasons. First of all I am poor and second of all I hate talking to people and dont trust them. I should seek out help because I suffer from severe social anxiety that controls every facet of my life. That in turn leads social isolation and depression. When Ive been at my lowest of lows with depression I have been known to think about suicide. My latest episode was this late summer and into fall when I came out of the closet. Things are allot better now but I still need help but wont seek it out. I have been told by three people who I can talk freely to that I need to seek out counseling. What they dont understand is my social anxiety has me painted into an corner at the moment.

joseph Wrote:the docter told the pisycartirst to see me a bout feeling sad and things but im still waiting a long time

It's a good thing Joseph, and I hope you get to see the psychiatrist soon.

Marvinteck Wrote:I should seek out professional help but I dont for various reasons. Fist of all I am poor and second of all I hate talking to people and dont trust them. I should seek out help because I suffer from severe social anxiety that controls every facet of my life. That in turn leads social isolation and depression. When Ive been at my lowest of lows with depression I have been known to think about suicide. My latest episode was this late summer and into fall when I came out of the closet. Things are allot better now but I still need help but wont seek it out. I have been told by three people who I can talk freely to that I need to seek out counseling. What they dont understand is my social anxiety has me painted into an corner at the moment.

So really the best thing you could do for yourself would be to build up some confidence about yourself, about who you are and why you have a lot to offer and share.

It's interesting to see the number of people here who've at least had experiences of these services...

I've had counselling myself back in 2005, part of the university facilities; it was just for break-up stuff when I was younger and a bit more emotional I guess. I have to say I didn't feel like it helped a great deal, as the outline made it quite clear that this was a listening service, not psychotherapy; therefore at times it felt like talking to a brick wall, albeit a very nodding sympathetic one.

I couldn't comment on more professional practices, although sometimes I think they would be worth looking at.

fenris Wrote:Here in Germany it is quite unusual to go to a psychiatrist and you have to have real problems to even to get an appointment.
This year I was there once ... because the normal doctor want to know, whether I have psychic damage caused by the chronic medication with morphine and heavy painkillers ..... the Temrin I had to wait 3 months. The only question was whether I want to kill me ... I said no ... * g and was healthy.
I think psychiatrists and psychologists are overrated

But psychiatrists and psychologists or counselors are different. Counselors just talk with people. THey don't prescribe and they generally deal with people who are in control but with some doubts in life rather than somebody who cannot control himself/herself at all.

So yeah. It is fine to go to counselors sometimes.