Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do youn describe yourself as introvert?
If you do, how accurately does this describe you?

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I am fairly introverted... I'm not quite as reserved as I used to be... I do keep to myself quite often and not too confrontational (unless I have reasons).

1. In my case I do have a bit of social anxiety and I don't like to talk to big groups of people... I can and I have and yes doing so has helped me get over some of that... I mean the things I am able to do now I don't see myself doing a lot of that say 10 years ago. When I was self employed I had to walk into all sorts of people's houses to fix their computer and so on and there's a lot of personalities. So no not all introverts don't want to talk.

2. I am shy, kind of goes back to #1 ... I think a good portion of introverts are but no not 100%

3. That's a silly myth. Perhaps awkward in some cases? I think the problem here is that these are really a sort of stereotype and we all know stereotypes (or assumptions) aren't true all the time.

4. Yeah that one is a myth but there are a lot of stupid people. Honestly though we're probably more lonely because we don't strike up conversation easily and then throw social anxiety in the mix and definitely compiles. So I do sort of latch on to friends and so on...fine tuning myself on that has been a challenge.

5. I don't really like being out in public, again this is where social anxiety meets being introverted...there are two things at work... I don't know I agree with what the myth implies that I don't need as much time, many times I just don't get jokes and whatnot...I do agree that there is point where too much is too much. Like I hate going shopping but I like buying things....I like buying things so much that my credit cards are likely going to end up in a big block of ice.

6. I like having my space. I also like having people around when I want to do things, like going for a hike or a walk or something else. Often though I can't seem to get anyone to want to do anything either...

7. Everyone is weird.

8. I guess that explains it all... I definitely have a habit at looking inward at things instead of looking out.

9. I would also say that the sensitivity also has some ties to having problems with addiction, say smoking, drinking all effect dopamine. But yes, I hate having a ton of noise around when I'm trying to think and definitely not much for going to big parties.... Not saying I refuse to try new things and so on....and yeah I'm a pretty big nerd.

10. You can change a lot about yourself but probably not that one. I do think exposure therapy is key, you have to put yourself out there and have experiences to learn how to be more outgoing, more social, doesn't mean you have to be the biggest loudmouth either.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

LONDONER Wrote:If you do, how accurately does this describe you?
Yes I do and VERY accurately.

Quote:Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.
Check. I wouldn't say I "hate" small talk, exactly, but it mostly doesn't interest me much. I don't indulge in it unless I absolutely have to.

Quote:Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.
Check. On top of that I am a bit shy... It depends on the situation. But I agree, I don't just start talking to someone just to talk with them. If I have a reason to interact with someone, then there's no problem.

Quote:Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.
Check. I don't find the pressure to fit in exhausting so much as it is just annoying as fuck. Who the fuck wants to "fit in" and why? And, yeah, don't beat around the bush. If you have something to say to me, say it.

Quote:Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.
Double Check. It's not that I dislike superficial people (although I do often find them irritating or grating) its just that I don't have anything in common with them. What they focus on in their lives is not what I focus on. Now, that's not to say there are never any overlaps. I can be interested in "stupid" stuff, too. (By which I mean things like what some Hollywood or other personality did or said... like who the fuck cares?) I just KNOW it is stupid and don't make it the center of my world.

Quote:Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.
Well, personally, I don't much like going out in public, LOL. But, yeah, I *do* go and I can get enough of it pretty quickly. For example, I like to go look at the art galleries in San Francisco. I can make a whole day of this. Just off the top of my head I can think of, oh, 20 galleries all within walking distance of one another. I pop into one. If the show doesn't grab me in the first 60 seconds of looking at it, I'm out of there... onto the next one. OTOH, if it is interesting to me in some way, I can spend quite a long time really looking at what's there. Studying it. Appreciating it. Usually I'm done with all that in oh, four hours, including getting a bite of lunch.

Quote:Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.
That last sentence, definitely check. I *can* expand that up to six people, tops. Then the operative words are "authentic and sincere connection". I've had the pleasure of being at dinner with as many as six people where that happened. One person spoke at a time and everyone listened intently to what he or she had to say. (This, BTW, has most often happened in the company of women more so than men in my experience.) A social gathering with more than six people... not likely to happen. But, yeah, most often it is just one.

Quote:Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.
Well, I think I'm "weird"... and I see nothing wrong with being "weird". I'm proud of it. Why would anyone want to be "normal"? B O R I N G ! That's the one thing all my friends have in common ... def not "normal".

Quote:Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.
Not totally sure I agree with this one, or at least the way it is worded. I am actually VERY aware of what is going on around me. Almost hypervigilant. That said, I do pay attention to what is going on inside me. But, to me, the truth is I don't pay ENOUGH attention to it. I forget. I get distracted by the outer world. I stop paying attention to my body, where I am, what's really going on. To me that is a short coming (that I share with the majority of my fellow human beings). Now, whether what is going on in me is "more stimulating and rewarding"... IDK about that. Depends. Can be equally boring. Same old shit, etc.

Quote:Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.
Well, IDK about "different dominant neuro-pathways," but yeah if I'm going to relax and have fun, I do NOT want to go out to a large gathering of people. I'd much rather stay at home or take a hike in nature. Thrill seeking? Hmmm... I have on occasion. LOL, then again, it doesn't take much to "thrill" me, hahaha.

Quote:Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.
"Fix"? What is there to "fix"? Why would I want to be an extravert? Do they sincerely think they're happier than I am or something? LOL... IDTS.

All true for me, the exception being 6 as I am pretty much a loner. Pretty much overly selective about who I spend my time with. This has nothing to do with being stuck-up or snotty. It's basically about anxiety and boredom with people who don't share my interests. I hate small talk. It seems like a lot of extroverts base whole relationships on small talk. I know that's not true, but sometimes that's how it seems from my point of view. Maybe it's a little bitter jealousy? Even so, I'm happy with who I am and I'm glad I'm able to be able to enjoy my own company.

im serious when I say 9 out of 10 describe me to an absolute tee - I know what kind of person I am but seeing it written down has come as a bit of a shock,
The only one im not as close to is number 9, I match the part "If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down" that's totally true , but as for not a thrill seeker, or know how to have fun - if im with friends then I can be the life and soul and I used to love downhill mountain biking which can be very scary

some introverts are created. Abused by people who are supposed to love them and then kicked out in the world to defend for themselves.

yes, same as Matty actually, everything fits me perfectly except for number 9. If there's too much going on I'll shut down but I'm not against trying new things.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Yes, it describes me.
I'm not shy, interactions just exhaust me. That tends to confuse people since many equate shy with introvert.
I also am very content with my head-space/in my own little world and never bored.
I can't have the TV or music on all the time, drives me crazy. It's just as exhausting as people. But I love having the windows open and listen to the birds, the wind in the trees, even the rain -- how a storm changes tempo, the quiet of snowfall. I run but never with headphones/music, tend to use the time to process/self-reflect.

I love music...but I don't play it all the time...good for running on the treadmill and driving or relaxing but yeah a lot of the time I don't have anything going. It can be distracting.

I think that anxiety, social anxiety can be confused with being an introvert... I happen to be both of those things at varying degrees.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Most of that is true for me.
Often, I wish I had something to talk about, because I actually like to talk (and listen).
But when just meeting someone new, I absolutely shut down, unless a common interest is obvious from the first second. And no, "being gay" is not enough a "common interest" for me.