Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doberman Pinscher (thinking about getting one)
hey guys,

i've been thinking about getting a Doberman for the past year or so (well all my life really, but more seriously for the past year). i've always wanted one ever since i was a small kid. and now i'm also financially in a place where i can afford to keep one.

do any of you have any experience with Dobermans? even if it's just with friends or acquaintances, or even strangers. i know they are an athletic breed that need regular exercise more than average. i really like that about them, but i'd also like to hear people's actual experiences of what that's like. i myself have no experience with Dobermans, other than having met with a couple local breeders and checking out their dog and the pups they have on offer.

i am going to see one puppy next Tuesday. it's male, and meets all the standards for the breed.

so, i'm just looking for everyone's perspective, for Dobermans specifically, and also perspective from all of you who actually own/have owned a dog (no matter what breed), and general advice for keeping a pet. when i was growing up we had a dog, he died a few years after i graduated from high school, and he was the only experience i have with having a dog in the household.

so, i'd appreciate any input you guys may have.

My dad has always had dobermans.
The first (in my lifetime) was nice enough and good with us kids.
The second was also nice and all that, but it was fed crap food, which I blame for its cancer. It was awfully submissive towards my dad and would piss on the floor as it virtually crawled towards him if he made the *i am so happy to see you dog* noises that he made when he came home from work.
The third and fourth are both nice, but they're very rough, because of my dad's harsh playing. The male was sterilized because he was uncontrollable, even with shock-collar training (needless to say, I did not approve, but I had moved out long before this).

. I'd get a bitch, if the choice was mine.

I don't buy into the whole 'this breed is going to be X way'.

While its true that various dogs bred for specific purposes, such as work dogs are bred for work, thus may have a shepherding leaning, dogs themselves are individuals and often enough fall outside the parameters of their breed.

So while you may think your Doby is going to be a good guard dog, it is possible;le you end up with a totally passive animal that will not learn how to guard, or attack or whatever.

Dogs in general are very social creatures. They all have a pack mentality, requiring to be part of a social structure. Most dogs adapt well to a family setting, as long as they are not left alone for endless hours. If you work 10+ hours a day, or are away from home that often, I strongly suggest you rethink getting a (one) dog.

I have tended to have two dogs in my life at the same time, this usually meets their needs for companionship and company. If you can afford two, then get two. Preferably two who already know each other and are socialized with each other.

Personally, I keep dogs in the house. The last place I lived in the first thing I did before moving in anything was to rip out all the wall to wall carpeting. Not just because it was icky, but because I had a dog and two cats and I know that carpeting and animals never ends well.

While dogs can learn a few human things, ultimately a dog is a dog and will behave/act and do what dogs do. So you need to make your habitat more suitable to a dog. That most likely means no wall to wall carpet. you are lucky in the tail department because Doby's tend to get theirs removed. So you don't have to get down to tail level and look at every surface and decide what can and cannot be sent flying by a happy tail wag.

IF you have never had a dog before, I would suggest you find a local dog trainer that trains humans and dogs together. Yes you will need training. Dog schools are often kind enough to let wanna-be-dog-owners sit through their classes,observe and learn more about dog ownership before making that leap.

Good luck.

(You're gonna need it :tongueSmile

I've trained dobies and had them when I was a kid...

In spite of what Bowyn said there are some very strong personality traits with male and female Dobies >.>most of the time <<

Be sure to find out about family history for hip dysplasia. Dobies are pretty bad about it.

Usually a male Dobie even when neutered is always going to treat his human as his partner mode than the alpha male. This doesn't mean he'll be hard to train or anything bad. It means he's accepting you as an equal. The more you socialize him at a young age with other dogs and all people the happier for everyone including him. When you need him to be protective don't worry, he will be.

Female dobies are gentler in nature and oriented to being subordinate. They're easier to train and twice a loving as males. A female dobie will learn anything you want to teach her because she craves the approval.

A male dobie will learn anything you want t teach him as long as there's something in it for him.... food... fun and buddy-buddy stuff. Don't try too hard to make him aware he's #2 . It's just important that you know he is.

Our last dogs were two chow chows....what I learned from them is how to understand your breed and take everything into consideration......I think that is the best route to take...read everything you can about Dobermans and acclimate them with their personality traits in mind....

With the chow chows...we took care to introduce them to lots of different people as pups because they tend to be one person dogs...and can get a little fierce....and this did the trick. One of them loved everyone and there was never any worries as she loved the attention from everyone and returned with affection readily...the other...she was fine with people but definitely wanted to be alone after saying hello so we always made sure she had her space....

Neither ever had a problem with people...but possums...uh...damn....

I think Dobies are cute...my neighbor had one that I loved....

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:While its true that various dogs bred for specific purposes, such as work dogs are bred for work, thus may have a shepherding leaning, dogs themselves are individuals and often enough fall outside the parameters of their breed.

So while you may think your Doby is going to be a good guard dog, it is possible;le you end up with a totally passive animal that will not learn how to guard, or attack or whatever.

nah, i'm not getting a Doberman because i want a guard dog (although the fact that they usually are good at this is a plus). i want to get a Doberman because i want a Doberman.

i like the Bernese Cattle Dog breed too, by the way. and Labradors. but Dobermans are a little closer to my heart.

Quote:Dogs in general are very social creatures. They all have a pack mentality, requiring to be part of a social structure. Most dogs adapt well to a family setting, as long as they are not left alone for endless hours. If you work 10+ hours a day, or are away from home that often, I strongly suggest you rethink getting a (one) dog.

i have most of my days off. i have one gig which takes up most of my time in the summer time but i can keep a dog over there at work. one of my colleagues does the same. it's pretty ideal, because he'd get to be around a lot of people there and socialize. not to mention there's a huge beach and room for him to play there.

i wouldn't even be thinking about getting a dog if i had to leave it alone for most of the time. what would be the point of that anyway. i want it for company too, not to leave it on its own to watch out for potential strangers.

Quote:I have tended to have two dogs in my life at the same time, this usually meets their needs for companionship and company. If you can afford two, then get two. Preferably two who already know each other and are socialized with each other.

i could afford it, but i think two Dobermans at the same time would be trying to swallow a bit more than i can chew. i'll try my hand with just one for starters.

(although i wonder how a Doby and a Bernese would get along with each other).

IF i decide to get it. i know will get a Doberman sooner or later in my life, that's not even a question, but i'm not in any rush. it has to feel right. and i'm picky about certain things with Dobermans (it definitely has to be a black Doberman, not color diluted).

thanks for your advice Bowyn.

One thing to note about Dobermans, is that people are often afraid of them. Seemingly more so than other dogs. Even the harmless ones, like the ones I've grown up with.

Also, the dobermans I've known have had all variations of ears cut, long ears, tails cut, tails uncut.
I have no opinion on cutting/not cutting, only that I'd want what's best for the dog. Supposedly some dogs can whip themselves with the tails and get dirty and infected ears if they're long.. blabla. I don't know if any of that is true.

Also#2, puppies require alot of attention. Walking them several times during the night, cleaning up their piss and poo, taking the time to train them and socialize them. In my opinion, all the time and love you give your dog comes back tenfold, but you need to be ready for the puppy when you get it.

Cuddly Wrote:Also#2, puppies require alot of attention. Walking them several times during the night, cleaning up their piss and poo, taking the time to train them and socialize them. In my opinion, all the time and love you give your dog comes back tenfold, but you need to be ready for the puppy when you get it.

that's one part i am not looking forward to (the piss and poop part), but then again, who is.

i do have some concerns about my house, and possessions, but i'd just have to fortify them somehow....and i have fur carpets and all that... but it's not like that stuff isn't replaceable.

i can suffer through the puppy phase. although, in your experience (and others) --- does getting mad at them for pissing on the carpet actually have any effect toward training them not to do that? or is it just unnecessary?

PS. yeah, i know. people usually think Dobies are these i'll-bite-your-hand-off type of dogs. they were like that when the breed was first developed (the guy who developed them was a tax collector and needed a scary dog for his professional purposes), but Dobermans bred today are much more collected and friendly dogs. they're loyal first and foremost, from what i've heard. but so are most dogs who develop a healthy connection to their owners.

meridannight Wrote:does getting mad at them for pissing on the carpet actually have any effect toward training them not to do that? or is it just unnecessary?

If you catch them in the act, maybe. Afterwards, definately not.

The trick is to walk them as often as they need to pee and only come back inside when they've done the deed. Warm clothing is adviced. They probably, like human babies, don't have control of their bladder.

Also, get a good leash of the length that you feel is proper. There's lots of different tips and tricks and do's and don't's with leashes.

There's also tactics of teaching them to only piss on certain things, like newspaper on the floor.

This guy might be helpful, with general dog training: https://www.youtube.com/user/zakgeorge21

Don't know much about dobermans, but the ones I have been around have tended to be high strung.I suspect that, like any animal, the more it is around people the more social it will be.

I would love to have a dog but see it as a huge and longtime responsibility. Just going away for a day means a lot of planning and providing.If you ever spend ANY time away from home, try to think what it would mean.

Odd that this should come up because I am going to need to stop by a friend's house in a bit to let her dogs out for her as she has been called upon to take her friend to the hospital tonight. She has two rambunctious American bulldogs that I love, but they are a real handful and even after nearly ten months are on the puppy destructive side. Lots of energy.

Though I do not tend toward small breeds, the cutest dog I have ever seen was a bichon frise that was so well behaved that its owner could take it to work with him. He was a professional recording engineer and the dog never made a sound.
I bid NO Trump!