Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does having a gay sibling helps?
It definitely doesn't help my siblings come out of their closets... at least you have a close family member that will understand you and relate to what you will be dealing with, but to be honest I don't think your parents will understand you any better and it might be harsher in your case due to the circumstances you're dealing with.

First off, I'd like to say that my take on this would be to follow Rainbowmum's advice and give your folks some time. You'll know when and if it's the right decision to tell them or not.

Second, I'd like to stray off topic for a moment and thank Boywn Aerrow for his reply post.

The Stereotyping is what kept me in the closet for way too many years, that and being a workaholic. I literally grew up in the Castro in San Francisco and really resented the limp wrist, lisp, leather and all the other mannerisms. It was only until I was in my thirties, that I started to doubt my sexuality. This is when I met, and started to hang with normal guys that happened to like other guys, and a couple as well, who are my best friends. Definitely Offtopic but thanks again for the post.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:It went the other way for me. My brother 'exploded' out of the closet and that lead to his being kicked out of the house immediately there after.

I recall the loathing and anger my mother and her husband expressed at his being 'sick' and 'perverted'. As such if I was anywhere near coming out myself I was driven to the far back dark corners of my closet and didn't even start facing homosexuality as a possibility for me until 23/24.

My brother also went from being a school jock (he played football, was a 'tough guy' a regular dude to being a full on Nelly Queen, adopting the mannerisms and limp wrist and lisp. This drove the idea home in me that in order to be gay I had to "act gay" which didn't set well with my personality.

For me the experience was a negative one. Most people who I have known who had a sibling come out before them have tended to find strength and courage from the event. Many of whom appear to have built a stronger relationship with that sibling than with 'straight' siblings in the cases where there are more than two siblings. The common frame of reference appears to knit them closer.

I have 2 gay siblings, I am the only straight one. I wonder if siblings of gay people have a greater chance of being gay than the population as a whole? If so, does this indicate some sort of genetic basis for sexuality? I suppose it doesn't matter a whole lot. I don't know what it is like for gay siblings, but I do know my sister was worried my brother would be angry at her for stealing his 'thing'... lol, he really wasn't.
x

I have a bisexual cousin.
An eye for an eye

No, my sister is gay, my parents know. They find every fault they can with it. I have told my parents several times.

They seem to really get nasty about it, not toward me but in general. Last time I said something, they started discussing the actor that plays Sheldon Cooper on big bang theory, a couple hours later. Saying things like "I think he is a faggot" "that is disgusting" "God doesn't like faggots", on and on. It was clear what they were doing.

My gay sister didn't make it the least bit easier, made it worse. I got to hear all of their disapproving comments, all growing up, my sis is ten years older than me. My mom insisted on outing her to the world.

Me being the youngest of four children the three older ones, definitely not producing grand children, they simply refuse to believe I am bisexual.

@Pix I have no idea what type of relation the religion has with the mentioned demons, but an uncommon religious practice in a Judeo-Christian background is the spirituality of being a Summoner. From what I know of that religious aspect, The summoner only uses their divine origination to command demons, angels and other spiritual beings. As I have understood it, it doesn't require any strange tasks, but I have heard warnings of people falling under the influence of the summoned. Satanism and other religions that rely heavily on "demons" though could be what is being talked about. I just thought Id share Smile

I have a distant cousin that is gay and he came out about a month ago. It doesn't seem to change much of the opinion in my family. Those who think we're "perverted" hold to their stereotypes, but the majority of the family has been accepting of us both.

Sadly sir, I don't know that your parents will come around to it if they just refuse to see it as anything but a problem. There's always the chance that they will see over time that there's no harm done and that your brother is still the same person he has been. Time may be what they need to cope with it, but even if they "need time" make sure to consider yourself and your brothers feelings in the matter too. In my opinion, your brother's peace of mind is more important than your parents prejudice or misunderstandings. Hoping for the best for you both!