Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does he like me?
I've been talking online to a guy I met over a year ago. we talk briefly here and there about various things. Most of it has been only about our common interests, not much about ourselves.

Here's the thing;
I have a major crush on him, but am afraid to say anything about it because I'm not sure if he even likes me.
Yes, he is gay, so there's no issue of wondering if he's straight or gay.

I message him every so often about something and he replys to it, and then I reply to that, but he usually never keeps the conversation going really.

Not long ago he suddenly gave me his number to text him. I did, but again he really didn't keep the conversation going.

II would think if he gave me his number it meant he wanted to at least get to know me better, but also I would think if he liked me he would keep the conversation going.

Do you think he is shy, too? Or just not interested in me?

i would def think if he gave you his number, he would be interested... that's the point of giving someone your number. (HELLO!)

my experience: if someone doesn't keep the conversation going or is really short, they aren't interested in what you're saying really. i would just straight up ask him why he is being so shy.

Lol maybe you're giving him boring conversation. You did say you guys don't really talk to each other about yourselves. Try doing that and I'm sure the conversations will be more interesting and he'll show you who he is. From there, maybe you'll see if he likes you or not.

Well, I've tried talking to him about myself and about topics I know he likes, but neither has helped to keep him replying very much. Either by messages, or now with texts.

I'm thinking it's one of two - he is either not interested in me, or he feels somehow inadequate and scared to say anything. I would say something if I had more signs that he was interested, but I don't want to mess up our conversations by making it weird if he doesn't.

The art of conversation is not known by everyone.

I am one such person.

Conversation is a skill, a talent - a process that I lack.

Did he give you his telephone number for texting or did he really give you his telephone number for phone calling???

I suspect he is like me (and millions of others in this instant communication age) a bit old fashioned when it comes to the way we learn about other people.

I prefer meeting face to face with people - this way I get the tone of their voice, their body language, those nods and half smiles that convey megabytes of information that megabytes of written word cannot convey.

Since you have his telephone number, why not call him and ask him out to coffee or something where you two can meet face to face and actually talk and engage with all of your senses instead of sending him instant messages?

I bet that in the right place, with the full spectrum of human communication available he will be down right a chatty Cathy - maybe not verbally, but his body language, his facial expressions, the tone of his voice will tell you a lot more than any instant message.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:The art of conversation is not known by everyone.

I am one such person.

Conversation is a skill, a talent - a process that I lack.

Did he give you his telephone number for texting or did he really give you his telephone number for phone calling???

I suspect he is like me (and millions of others in this instant communication age) a bit old fashioned when it comes to the way we learn about other people.

I prefer meeting face to face with people - this way I get the tone of their voice, their body language, those nods and half smiles that convey megabytes of information that megabytes of written word cannot convey.

Since you have his telephone number, why not call him and ask him out to coffee or something where you two can meet face to face and actually talk and engage with all of your senses instead of sending him instant messages?

I bet that in the right place, with the full spectrum of human communication available he will be down right a chatty Cathy - maybe not verbally, but his body language, his facial expressions, the tone of his voice will tell you a lot more than any instant message.

You make a very logical point about meeting face to face. That really is a better way of knowing. I guess I feel weird about asking him to go somewhere since I don't really know his opinion of me or how he thinks of me. It might just make it awkward for both of us.

As for why he gave me his number, he said "text me if you want", so that's why I've stuck to texting him, I've only texted him twice and both times was similar to when we messaged online - I would write something, he would reply and then I would respond to that, and then he wouldn't really follow-up.

I'll add that I don't have that much experience in this field, so if my question seems dumb, that's why.

How awkward is coffee?

Just ask him out for a coffee, that doesn't imply that that will lead to a bed or that marriage is right around the corner. Its just coffee and a talk.

Not even a date - its 'just coffee'.

Think of it in terms of no expectations of more, just two friends stopping by the cafe for a coffee, perhaps a danish and some conversation.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:How awkward is coffee?

Just ask him out for a coffee, that doesn't imply that that will lead to a bed or that marriage is right around the corner. Its just coffee and a talk.

Not even a date - its 'just coffee'.

Think of it in terms of no expectations of more, just two friends stopping by the cafe for a coffee, perhaps a danish and some conversation.

Well, generally speaking it's not awkward - only that we don't live that close together, and it might seem a little odd that I'm offering and willing to drive a distance for coffee.
I might come off as either desperate or obsessed.