Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does he like me as 'more than a friend'?
Just wanted to see what you all thought about my current situation. I'll try to keep it brief:

I am a 30-year-old closeted guy here- have dated girls infrequently over the years and it's always left me unfulfilled and unhappy. I do have some physical experience with guys- not lots- but a few 'safe' fairly anonymous encounters arranged with help from the Internet. Only recently have I made the decision to start pursuing actual functional relationships with other guys. Generally I'm only attracted to "straight-acting" guys and I am pretty straight-acting myself.

Anyways, I live in a fairly rural area and options for gay men on online dating are fairly few and far between. I expanded my search and have been in touch with a guy who lives about 2 hours away. We started chatting about a month ago. We hit it off. We weren't a perfect fit but I think we enjoy talking to each other quite a bit. He is closeted too, which I like. He is fairly new to the dating scene himself; he'd been out with one other guy who was quite a bit older than us. They had gotten 'intimate' at some point but he decided he only wanted to be friends with him in the long run. He said early on that he was mostly looking for friends, but that he could be open to more.

We ended up meeting halfway between our towns for dinner and drinks a few weeks ago. It went better than expected, at least from my perspective. We've hung out twice since then- once in my town and once in his town. When he came here, we had a good- not great- time. He spent the night because we had been drinking. When I gave him the choice of spending the night in bed with me or in my spare room, he picked the spare room, which surprised me a bit. The next time we hung out in his town, I had a better time... just seemed like we were both a little more relaxed? We had agreed ahead of time that I would not spend the night because he has a roommate and neither of us were comfortable with that.

I'm starting to like him more and more but we still haven't held hands or kissed or anything. I can't tell if that's because he isn't interested and he wants to just be friends- or if he wants to get to know me better before sex enters the picture- or if he's just nervous about it. I don't know when to bring it up because I don't want it to be awkward and I don't want to force it- I just want to know if he likes me. If he likes me, I'm happy with waiting. I just want to know. We probably won't see each other for another week or so, but no set plans now. We only talk by email- once a day or once every other day. If it was up to me, we'd probably talk more.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for listening.

Welcome to GS, jnr!

It sounds like a natural progression for your relationship. I get that it's frustrating, since you are ready for a deeper relationship after some anonymous hookups. I can relate. Your new friend may just need a little more time to feel comfortable going further with intimacy.

You offered your bed, he declined, and he wanted to spend time with you again. That sounds like a good sign to me. If I were you, if you are still feeling frustrated after another couple dates, I'd ask him what he's looking for in your friendship. Let him know you enjoy spending time together. If he turns the table and asks you, be prepared with your answer. Hopefully he will be feeling the same way. Good luck!

Ask him Smile

Thanks! I haven't been in many relationships before so I sometimes don't even know what is 'normal'. That is helpful perspective. I will keep you all updated.

Hello, jnr, and Welcome to GaySpeak. Yes, I too think the best way to clear the air would be to ask him, or maybe rather to tell him what you are looking for in a relationship, then ask him how he feels about the way it's going. That is, if you feel comfortable asking. If you don't feel you can ask him face to face, then you can use that favourite mode of communication of yours and write him an e-mail. I'd draw a rough copy first, then leave it, then come back to it refreshed, read it through, proof read it, edit it etc for anything that sounds weird or potentially creepy then send it. You should be able to find out pretty soon where all this is going.

In your post you didn't mention your bf's dating habits. Maybe because he didn't mention them to you. You got nothing else so give it some time, be happy.

For both of you I might mention being gay or bi now is no big deal.

You night give some thought on the straight acting preferences as does it reflect any internal homophobic reactions

Thanks to both of you. He has never been in a serious relationship before and hasn't dated much. I'm sure being out and gay is not a big deal for everyone, but for me, at this stage in my life, it is and I'm working on tackling that. I think for both of us, looking for 'friends' or a 'relationship', is a step toward dealing with those problems. We all have different lives and, I think, have varying certainties about our own sexuality, so I'm not sure that it's so simple. It's taken me a while to come to this conclusion. And I can tell you things are for sure different in rural Tennessee!

We are working on figuring out when we can meet up again, so based on that I'll figure out when to talk to him about it!

My thought is that he just wants to take things very slowly for now and that he isn't totally comfortable with that deeper gay relationship at this point in time. That's not to say he wouldn't be in the near future, it's probably just a brand new thing for him, as it is for you, and everyone handles it differently.

I would agree with the other posters about just talking to him about your feelings towards him and trying to find out his feelings towards you; however, I would caution you that from my experience, actions speak much louder than words and he may just tell you what he thinks you want to hear rather than what he truly thinks/feels. I think his actions so far would lead me to believe he ultimately wants something deeper but just needs to take it slow for now.

Good luck! Smile

Just figured I would update you all. We hung out today and I asked him- he told me that he likes hanging out with me but he doesn't see it going anywhere romantically. Kind of a bummer! I wish the dating world wasn't so frustrating.