Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it matter today if someone "comes out"?
I posed this question when I posted the thread about the Scottish Conservative MP who announced he was gay:

https://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=38859

Now today the BBC asks the very same question:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-3530339...a&ns_fee=0

In other words, does it matter? Who cares? We in Europe at least have become a much more tolerant and accepting society so, will there ever come a time when one's sexual orientation will not matter to anyone else?

Let the time come when the gutter press will not have anything like this to report about simply because it will not matter, it will be non-news.

The British Parliament is discusssing whether transgender people should be allowed to decide their own gender at the age of 16 and not be forced to wait until they reach 18. Until then they should have the right to describe their gender in their passports as "X".
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

For want of a convenient figure, I say give it five years. With same sex marriage now legal in the US it is not uncommon to encounter gay couples and simply less of a notable event here. There may be objections or reactions from individuals but it is an unavoidable phenomenon.
I bid NO Trump!

Around here it does matter, got to be careful who you tell...even your employer can legally fire you in the state I'm in...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:Around here it does matter, got to be careful who you tell...even your employer can legally fire you in the state I'm in...

That's awful to hear that Axle, that's really a 19th century attitude.

On the contrary, a lot of people are perfectly fine with it...but I don't go testing people to see...but yes it is unfortunate that some bigot who owns a business can fire their employee for being gay...or breathing too hard. It is known as a right-to-work state... so long as it doesn't break any other employment laws they have full reign and since the status quo doesn't really give a crap about gay people there are seldom laws protecting gays in the workforce....there are a lot of states that do have such anti-discriminatory laws and a lot of employers don't act on the loopholes since they don't want any negative PR and so on.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

It matters where it's illegal I guess.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:It matter where it's illegal I guess.

That too... O.O I couldn't imagine that...kind of makes me nervous thinking will it always be legal?
Check out my stuff!

I think coming out is important for public figures, sure. I think that visibility is important. I think there is value in the general public seeing that gay people are politicians, athletes, rappers, scientists, whatever.. that we are a diverse group, and can be successful and powerful. It helps break down stereotypes about what behaviors or careers a gay person can display or have, and it gives younger people who maybe don't fit the existing gay stereotype role models to look up to.

I dont think a person necessarily needs to go on national tv and talk about being gay and whether or not they are a top or a bottom. But to live openly - to be a person in the public eye and show up to an event with another man, to show affection in public places - that is of value.

Thanks Emiliano I understand your point of view even though I don't agree with you 100%. In Europe at least where we have a more relaxed attitude, I don't think it's entirely necessary. As I indicated in my OP, a person's sexual orientation should make no difference to their work and in this day and age I hope that there will come a time when people are no longer interested, it's a personal matter affecting only those who actually are LGBT and not a matter for public speculation.