Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog DO understand what humans are saying
So it's not just intonation:

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/08/...590/?nll=1
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Hehe, now I'm wondering what my dog would say if he could talk back to me.

Probably along the lines of ''Yes I know I'm a good boy, you know why? Because you've said it fourteen damn times in the last minute!''

28 years of having dogs and I've always known this, I've had to adapt my use of language and tone at times not to give my dogs the wrong idea.

I have a very intelligent family dog who knows the name of all of her toys and will brings them to you when asked. She also likes to "trick" us, like you ask her to bring you her frog but she brings you the rope, then she acts really goofy, waiting to be told "that's not the frog!" Then she runs and gets the frog.

I'm curious about the history that leads to the ability of humans and dogs to communicate so well, but not surprised at all that dogs have a vocabulary. I've known police dogs from my job that clearly have it, as well as service dogs. So it doesn't surprise me that a study found similar results. That said, it's still impressive.

I'd like to know if the same is true for cats. And why or why not a similar relationship wasn't developed. My cat, I feel like he's very in tune with my feelings and what I'm asking when I say something to him. And I can tell what his different meows mean. But I feel like there is a lot more selective understanding there.

I had a cat once who understood me perfectly..better than humans. It was a once in a lifetime thing. I can't even bring myself to ever have another cat thanks to him. I was heartbroken when I lost him....

I do think dogs understand as well....they are EXTREMELY intelligent IMO.

Emiliano Wrote:I'd like to know if the same is true for cats. And why or why not a similar relationship wasn't developed. My cat, I feel like he's very in tune with my feelings and what I'm asking when I say something to him. And I can tell what his different meows mean. But I feel like there is a lot more selective understanding there.

Interesting Emiliano. I saw a programme on TV the other day and there was a dog that had a vocabulary of more than 170 words. Just like yours he knew the name of his 170 odd toys and would fetch the correct one when asked to do so.

East Wrote:I had a cat once who understood me perfectly..better than humans. It was a once in a lifetime thing. I can't even bring myself to ever have another cat thanks to him. I was heartbroken when I lost him....

I do think dogs understand as well....they are EXTREMELY intelligent IMO.

East: See my reply to Emiliano's post. In that same TV programme they were comparing cats to dogs and the conclusion was that you can't train cats as you can dogs. Cats have minds of their own. It doesn't mean that they are less intelligent though.

Justaguy Wrote:Hehe, now I'm wondering what my dog would say if he could talk back to me.

Probably along the lines of ''Yes I know I'm a good boy, you know why? Because you've said it fourteen damn times in the last minute!''

"Please, change your record! .. There is a good reason im stairing at walls.."

my dog has even learnt to spell now after we started spelling out words like 'walk' and 'dinner'
Catsmileydwi'n jyst fachgen o cymru efo materion meddyliol yn byd meddyliolCatsmiley

my dog just solved the Riemann integral. i was quite sure he would make a mistake using infimum or supremum wrongly, but he didnt.