Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't ask, don't tell
The notorious US military policy of "don't ask, don't tell" is one of those items that President Obama has said will be up for review. Two retired generals, proving that there's plenty of life in the old guard, have said that to have gay and lesbian people serving openly in the military would "undermine recruitment and retention of staff, impact on leadership, dissuade parents from allowing their sons and daughters to sign up and ultimately be a danger to national security".

A spokesman for the president's office says that such a decision is low down on the list of priorities at the moment.

more

There are some great comments after the initial article

RoflRoflRofl

I hope that Pres Obama will eventually get to this and a whole lot of other issues concerning our large community.

Unfortunately none of these issues are at the top of anyones agenda but us! He doesnt have his full cabinet confirmed yet... fingers crossed it all gets done.

Wow
How to agree and disagree at the same time.
I have no idea.
I'll give it a try.
I personally don't think that sexual orientation should have any effect on availability for service.

However

Most of my companions in the Army do
Most of them would not accept gay people openly as part of them regardless of orders.

This is reality in the US Army.

Before any leader can change things we have to change our society.

Richard

Perhaps ardus is forgetting, that is exactly what the all white army used to keep blacks out of the armed forces before segregation.
I think that you are underestimating the majority of the younger people in our armed services they are more liberal that you may think. Sure there are some that will baulk on the idea but times are changing.
There have been Gays in the military from its inception now is the time for them to be out of the closet and protected just like the heroic young black men at the beginning of of there inclusion.
Of course that is my opinion.

ardus Wrote:Before any leader can change things we have to change our society.

What is real leadership?

Did you here about the French Revolutionary leader who on hearing a mob go past his window exclaimed, "There go my people, I must find out where they are going so I can lead them there"?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

ardus Wrote:... Before any leader can change things we have to change our society.
That may be true, but sometimes strong leadership can give things a good nudge.