Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't judge the majority by the actions of one
So, [MENTION=22948]TigerLover[/MENTION]? I did provide some evidence, as you asked. Do you agree with me now, do you have a counter-argument, or was it just a waste of my time?

Quote:So, @TigerLover? I did provide some evidence, as you asked. Do you agree with me now, do you have a counter-argument, or was it just a waste of my time?

Oh calm down, I'm a busy man and I'm not going to accept survey evidence at face value so there's some digging to be done. I have tomorrow off work I'll tell you what I think then.

No worries mate, take your time.

oh never mind. the last thing this thread needs is my angry rant.

The local population fighting amongst themselves is one thing, but for outsiders with an ancient view of the world to move in, with the soul intentions to take over and kill people, well that's another matter altogether.
Any of these newly arrived guests suspected of harbouring traitorous thoughts should be arrested.
internment and then deportation is what is needed.

[MENTION=24308]Piri[/MENTION]

Well firstly these surveys were not surveys of Muslims but general population in pre-predominately Muslim countries. You might think it doesn't matter but Nigeria for example has a horrifying number of Christians who think favorably of ISIS and there are mind-bogglingly some Buddhists that hold favorable opinions of ISIS.

But the main flaw here is not with the surveys themselves but the conclusion being drawn from them. The nations where there is a high percentage of people with favorable opinions of IS (And by high I mean about 14%) Are regions where there is sizable conflict between Shiite and Sunni sects.

In areas with sectarian murder It's quite reasonable to assume the support from Isis stems from their posing as the champions of Sunni Islam and their hatred of the Shia sect. An uniformed border-line literates blindly supporting a group that claims to defend/avenge them against the people who killed their uncle or murdered their childhood best friend.

In my opinion it's extremely unlikely that ISIS relatively meager support has anything to do with their terrorism or even anti-Muslim sentiment but is merely a continuation of that bonkers ancient feud.
I believe the strong trend in support for ISIS in sectarian conflict zones supports this.

So to use these surveys to gauge support for terrorism what we'd really need to do is add two more questions.
Do they believe ISIS to be responsible for terrorist atrocities?
If they believe ISIS is responsible do they support ISIS's terror attacks?

Thanks for your reply, [MENTION=22948]TigerLover[/MENTION].
Quote:Well firstly these surveys were not surveys of Muslims but general population in pre-predominately Muslim countries. You might think it doesn't matter but Nigeria for example has a horrifying number of Christians who think favorably of ISIS and there are mind-bogglingly some Buddhists that hold favorable opinions of ISIS.
I didn't think about that. But just how many non-muslims do you think could they ask in countries where the vast majority follows that religion? And a high number of christians and buddhists supporting ISIS...? I need some kind of proof. Besides, if you take a good look at the polls there are some who are specifically for muslims.

Pew Research (2013): Only 57% of Muslims worldwide disapprove of al-Qaeda. Only 51% disapprove of the Taliban. 13% support both groups and 1 in 4 refuse to say.
http://www.pewglobal.org/2013/09/10/musl...st-groups/

ICM Poll: 25% of British Muslims disagree that a Muslim has an obligation to report terrorists to police.
http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2005/07/...h-islamist

Pew Research (2011): 5% of American Muslims have a favorable view of al-Qaeda (14% can’t make up their minds).
http://www.people-press.org/2011/08/30/m...extremism/

ICM (2014): 16% of all French Muslims support ISIS, including 27% of those aged 18-24.
http://www.newsweek.com/16-french-citize...nds-266795

France, Great Britain, America, a worldwide poll...doesn't sound like "regions where there is sizable conflict between Shiite and Sunni sects". And I only showed you a few.

Quote:Do they believe ISIS to be responsible for terrorist atrocities?
If they believe ISIS is responsible do they support ISIS's terror attacks?
Why would anyone believe otherwise if the islamic state itself claims responsibility?