Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double minority
In that case, stop being so hostile to people who respond to you. You aren't better or worse than anyone else here. Relate to people instead of barking at them and sending them to your ignore list.

Johnny, support and encouragement don't always look the way you expect. Bowyn Aerrow and Megumidesu are frequent, considerate, and respected members here. If you consider them to be trolls I'm afraid your ignore list is going to grow very long very fast.

I could identify as a double minority simply from being a bisexual; a minority among both straights and gays. No one here has questioned that autism is a major challenge. I hope you can understand that everyone here feels different somehow, and has suffered in one way or another.

Mmm... I was gonna post something... but you are not worth it, you just want to be the victim... so baii ;D

Arkansota Wrote:I do consider myself to be a double minority. Although I am a white male, I do have Autism which makes me a minority (there IS a strong Autism community and many people identify very strongly with their Autism), and I'm gay which makes me a double minority. And I gotta be honest, I feel very different from everyone else. It's a mixed bag though.

I've gotta be a minority x 5 then. I'm gay, and, if we're gonna talk illnesses and afflictions, I have had heart problems since birth, had cancer, am a type 1 diabetic, AND a high-functioning autistic.

Seriously though dude, don't dwell on that. All of your problems and the things that make you 'different' are only factors that ultimately make you more unique. Everyone's got baggage, just own it. Embrace yourself, warts and all. It's more attractive.

no one is bashing you . i'm just trying to point out that having a different mental disability doesn't make you special or worse off than anyone . it's just a different disability .

every single one of my "minority" categories has caused me problems at some point . my mental illness has nearly killed me many times (and actually has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness) and every single day i have to be really careful about what i do to make sure i don't end up back in hospital .
i'm going to be on a really strict diet for the rest of my life because eating normally could cause (another) heart attack.
so is my mental disability serious ? you're damn fucking right it is . but it doesn't make me special or more disabled than anyone else here .

megumidesu Wrote:no one is bashing you . i'm just trying to point out that having a different mental disability doesn't make you special or worse off than anyone . it's just a different disability .

every single one of my "minority" categories has caused me problems at some point . my mental illness has nearly killed me many times (and actually has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness) and every single day i have to be really careful about what i do to make sure i don't end up back in hospital .
i'm going to be on a really strict diet for the rest of my life because eating normally could cause (another) heart attack.
so is my mental disability serious ? you're damn fucking right it is . but it doesn't make me special or more disabled than anyone else here .

I've got the same dealio in terms of diet, although it's not related to mental illness. I just can't eat certain foods or they will literally kill me if I don't balance my insulin right. I went into the hospital once and was borderline ketoacidosis and had a blood glucose reading of 660. Dangerous shit. But, yeah, I feel ya, sister.

I'm kind of confused at what the point of this thread is. Are you talking about mental disabilities? Or are you talking about categorisation into different minority groups?

Well anyway, I guess I'll just say something random about minoritiesTongue

While there is a need to recognise the needs of minority groups and to listen to their voices, I think it comes with the inherent danger of amalgamating every individual in that minority group as one entity.

I guess 'belonging' (I say tentatively, because I don't really agree with the pseudo-separatist idea of categorising people into minority groups.) to a minority group doesn't necessarily make you deserving of any special treatment just like that. There has to be reason. Not just 'I am ethnic give me nice things'.

Having said that though, you can't completely ignore the lines of demarcation. I more or less agree that Separatism is the only way to really effect fair representation, which of course for today is nearly impossible.

Being in a minority group is neither something to ignore nor something to display as almost an achievement and certainly I believe should not be worn as some aesthetic badge.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Everyone has something about them that makes them a "minority" in a sense, but I don't think it's equivalent to bragging rights. I have issues myself, but I personally wouldn't feel the need to bring them up unless I thought it lent itself to a discussion.

We're all just people at the end of the day, we may have disorders or issues, but we shouldn't let them define who we are - and we shouldn't expect other people to understand our issues the same way we do. Some people may see things different to you, or deal with the same problems in a different way. That doesn't make them wrong, and it doesn't make you wrong. It's just an example of variety.

The point of forums like these - at least the way I see it - are for people to come together so they can converse with people they share a particular "minority" with, and be able to express their opinions without being judged. And for those who feel judged or stifled elsewhere to be able to relax and feel accepted.

You need to realize that 99% of the people here are actually really nice, they might just not express it in a way that you're used to, or understand. But if you keep reacting to it in the way you are, you're not going to be able to learn to understand, because people will eventually lose their patience. Instead of trying to raise issues all the time, why don't you try discussing them, and working to solve them?

If someone does say something you feel might have been intended to offend, just ask them - don't accuse them. At the end of the day, if their intent was to offend they will most likely admit it, at which point you can just ignore them. But if they were only trying to be helpful, or humorous, they will likely explain what they meant in a clearer way if you just ask them.

When you put it that way...

I'm the only one of me Confusedmile:
"Catogory" don't get smaller 'n that does it?

Then to broaden up a smidgeon, Cry
I'm part of a very select "category" that has inadvertently become very unsociable and don't know how to undo this qwerky problem.

Then we can get a little bigger :frown:
I used to have an extriemely violent temper that I always have to control, although I have mellowed much over the last 30 years

Ok lets get bigger
I'm butt ugly. There is only one photo of me and it's here on GS (asides drivers licence & ID)

Bigger :eek:
I'm strictly gay, and can't even begin to relate to woman. It's so extrieme, that in 55 years I've never even seen a woman naked in the flesh

Bigger...

That's me, take it or leave it, I make no excuses. Wavey

Arkansota Wrote:Like I said before, Autism is completely different from a standard disability. And I don't care if you think I'm overreacting. I think you all are underreacting.

Get over yourself.