Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drug Education.
Ok guy drug education.

This is a responce to the Synthetic Marijuana thread

How much drug education have you had. At school when I was 13 they taught us about drugs and that they were bad. And thats pretty much it. I was too young to understand any thing that was said. I got told never to do marijuana because it is a 'gate way drug' opens people up to the massive drug world.

Ok well I smoke pot and the worse most illegal drug i've tried is a drug called Acid a hallucinogen. It didn't do much for me, no trippy colours or visuals. I was drinking too. I became undrunk and sobered up quick.

I don't know much about drugs cos they didn't teach me much. I've only learnt about them through friends who have tried some of the evil drugs.... That you can find you peoples back yards like datura. I'v had to figure out all my drug education on my own. I think this shouldn't be the case. There are too many drugs out there for us not to know about when we need education on this. And not only education but to high school students (aged 15-18) not kids.

(me rambling soz.)

You got more than I did, being born to overly fundamental parents meant I went to private school and, drugs education consisted of a sermon that boiled down to "do drugs and you go to Hell." No what was a drug, what did drugs do or cause you to do, just a simple they make you go to hell.

So I got the street version as well, some of it by personal use, most via friends that used that drug. Later from mass media and documentaries as well as personal research.

Not good, though you could have fooled me at the time.

The trouble is, at 15-18 most of us still think we are invincible and will be young forever. 40 or 50 sounds so far away that it doesn't matter to us at that age. As teens we really don't care what the effects on our bodies at 40-50 might be form something that makes us feel great in the moment.

I mean at 15, if someone told you that doing this drug just once would let you stay up all night, be alert and ace that algebra test, you'd probably have done it, and done it again for the next test, even if they had told you that doing it meant you'd have false teeth at 30 and, have to have sinus surgery at 40 and, at 50, the nurses wouldn't be able to find a vein to give you meds you needed so, you'd die. Still at 15, you wouldn't care, you'd care about the now and figure you'd never see that much of a future anyway.

Even now, for you at 20, I'd bet 50 sounds old, and a long ways away. You won't believe me but, it is a lot closer than you think. And I know, telling you that, I sound like a grandparent and you're waiting for some tale of the "good old days" and walking 10 miles to school in the snow with no shoes. LOL

See what I mean?

As far as public school went it sucked. Here in the USA schools get federal funding to "teach" drugs are bad. I say "teach" in quotes because it's more indoctrination than education. The lies were so ridiculous that those who inevitably found some things said to be lies told the rest of us and we started thinking it was all lies (same thing happened with sex ed, too). I still marvel that so many adults are quick to tell kids who lie the story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf and then act shocked when kids stop believing the lies of the adults. NO EXCUSE. Heck, if they don't want to "encourage" it by saying something other than "drugs are evil and will destroy you" then they could at least insert words like "possible effects" (often "worst case scenerio" should also be added), that alone would save a lot of their credibility, but they're so deceitful that they can't even do that. Good intentions or not, it's manipulative, and kids are right to reject their message and refuse to confide in them once they realize the adults are lying to them to control them (though pity that the real dangers then get ignored with the fake dangers, and the resentment over it sometimes encourages kids to do drugs that they would not otherwise feel, which btw is similar to why states with deceitful sex ed has more kids with STDs and pregnant). And some schools have gotten even worse about it after I left.

I haven't been in school since 1998 so my memory is somewhat vague on the details. I recall how in ABC class we were forced to watch a bunch of PSA and the sheer stupidity made us wonder what drugs THEY were on. If kids can see how stupid it is, then why can't adults? (Example, saying pot should be illegal because otherwise doctors would be getting stoned while they do surgery, never mind that they could "just as easily" be drinking whiskey now instead, and there was even worse than that!)

After seeing another anti drug video that was filled with the sort of drivel that insulted our intelligence and why adults had no credibility with us I asked a question about something because I thought maybe the adults believed their own crap and if so then I wondered how they rationalized it. It was how smoking pot ("just trying it" and "what harm could it do?") caused a boy to go from As to Fs, and after flunking out of school he became a "burn out" to the point that he eventually got out of his car on a hill and the car kept going to crash until he was arrested and his life ruined, and after the video was over the 2 teachers went on to affirm the loss of all motivation and ability to function as a TYPICAL result of anyone who thought experimenting with pot was harmless. So I asked if that was normal then why did many of the school extracurriculars and even Honor Roll require drug tests if drugs made it so they wouldn't be able to function or even care to try? It was a serious question, if they believed it then why?

The class laughed and I was sent to the office for disrupting the class. The principal scolded me and sent me home but he couldn't answer the question either (probably my trying to get an answer out of him as well is why I got sent home more than the "disruption"). The other kids loved that I'd asked as they got sick of adult stupidity and when I asked if either of the teachers bothered to answer the question after I left they said no, they just pretended I hadn't asked and continued to push their drivel to a class that rightfully held them and their message in contempt.

My motto with drugs is caution, care and consideration.

If you know what your taking (need trust that the supplier hasn't cut it with something else) and you have someone for support if things do go wrong and you know what you might be getting yourself into and are able to limit yourself so that it doesn't become a damaging habit then who knows what you might learn from the experience.
That being said anything that is highly chemically addictive that can cause dependance should be completely avoided as it is too hard to control. Drugs are not for everyone and can completely mess people up if too much is taken or it is used too often (and for some people the smallest about once is too much)

drug education wasn't that informative at school, but thats to be expected i guess, they always try to scaremonger.

while i know i haven't been exposed to the extremes i know people that dabble with mushrooms, cannibus, extacy, caffine, alcohol, nitrosoxide, Ketamine, acid, and mdma, and I can't deny that i may have had some personal experience with some of these.
I have also been assaulted by someone wandering the streets high on something, robbed by a heroin junkie and my brother is getting over an addiction to Ice. So i'd say that my knowledge is reasonably well rounded.
It is too easy for alot of people to loose control which is sad because there may be some benifits for a small group of people that get missed.

i also know a very good resource online for factual infomation on the chemistry, health effects, dangers and peoples experiences on a wide range of drugs, I won't link to the site because I don't think its appropriate but i can disscuss further if people are interested.

Drugs have their place however for a good majority of people the risks and negative side effects weigh out any positives. Discouraging the use of drugs is important.

The thing that keeps me away from drugs is usually knowing what happens AFTER taking them. I won't touch heroin, meth, or ecstasy because of the addiction risk and/or long-term damage: heroin and meth are both highly addicting because they trigger a flood of dopamine in the brain that cannot be naturally achieved, so you need the drug to feel that euphoria ever again. I've also heard the hangover from meth can be an absolute bitch. The short reason I don't think to try ecstasy is because it would rot my sexy brain, and I can't abide that. I've tried pot, it just makes me feel weird. I've tried salvia, which I actually liked. Short, intense high, no hangover that lasts three days like with pot, and some very interesting thought patterns I didn't know I had. I would like to try mushrooms before I die, but NOT cocaine. I have no interest in a heart attack or stroke, since I already have high blood pressure.

Kiid Wrote:Ok guy drug education.

This is a responce to the Synthetic Marijuana thread

How much drug education have you had. At school when I was 13 they taught us about drugs and that they were bad. And thats pretty much it. I was too young to understand any thing that was said. I got told never to do marijuana because it is a 'gate way drug' opens people up to the massive drug world.

Ok well I smoke pot and the worse most illegal drug i've tried is a drug called Acid a hallucinogen. It didn't do much for me, no trippy colours or visuals. I was drinking too. I became undrunk and sobered up quick.

I don't know much about drugs cos they didn't teach me much. I've only learnt about them through friends who have tried some of the evil drugs.... That you can find you peoples back yards like datura. I'v had to figure out all my drug education on my own. I think this shouldn't be the case. There are too many drugs out there for us not to know about when we need education on this. And not only education but to high school students (aged 15-18) not kids.

(me rambling soz.)
You're probably right, Josh. In our school, I know they give out information on drugs, there's actually a booklet that students can pick up at the infirmary. I wonder thought whether it's not when it's too late that they'll read up about this. I know there's quite a lot of pot smoked by some of the students at school, but I suppose many more actually just do (I don't know why I say "just"???) cigarettes. Cigarettes are buggers as they will induce a person into a lifetime of dependency which is costly and really bad for one's health. My worry is that girls are now starting to smoke more than boys. I guess the boys, if they're going to do stuff like that, go for the hard stuff, liquor and "drugs"...?

The best defense against having a drug problem is to know what you're putting into your body, and knowing your limits. Of course, even that may not be enough with some drugs. I'll never touch heroin or other strong opioids because I've seen more than anything evil come of it. I know the feeling would be Too Good and it would consume me. One of my best friends has changed considerably since he's fallen into that habit, and now he's hanging around crackheads. Guess what he's gonna be trying now? I know another guy who kicked his heroin habit, though he was smarter about it and never shot up, which at least removed risks associated with shooting. But he had to work like hell at it. He's now managing a local pizza place, so he's doing alright for himself. With heroin you never know what you're getting; one day, you could get a big amount that won't be terribly potent, but the next a small amount could leave you practically comatose. In my experience with weed, that risk has been negligible.

I've had experiences with weed, ecstasy, opium, alcohol (and yes, alcohol IS a drug, NOT a separate category like it is inexplicably put into), various pills (benzos and opioids), salvia, acid, and of course cigarettes (nicotine's a drug too, kids). Weed was wonderful until it started making me paranoid and anxious and depressed, so I for the most part stopped.

Ecstasy: know what it's cut with. I've had it cut with 2C-I, a lab hallucinogen, which had a benign effect of heightening the 'rolling' effect of peaks and valleys in the high; and with cocaine, which also had a benign effect until the come-down which was rather unpleasant. It's not always cut with what your dealer thinks it is or tells you it is. If anything, I would opt for 'molly,' which is almost pure mdma powder in a capsule. And for the love of cock don't do it too often. One guy I know who did it almost daily has mush for brains nowadays, not that he had everything going on upstairs to begin with.

Opium is almost not worth mentioning because I've only run into it once and smoked a relatively small amount, but it was exceedingly pleasant and relaxing. Especially considering it was on top of a mountain among friends. Still, it's another case of knowing your limits.

Alcohol has had the most profoundly negative impact on my life of any of drug. I ran the risk of failing classes and losing my scholarship because I was apathetic and spent my time drinking alone. I don't blame alcohol for that, that was me, but the drinking exacerbated the situation. Alcohol also makes my mother batshit insane.

I don't like pills. Not that some of them don't have pleasant effects in small doses (xanax, codeine, percocet, etc), but the dependency they encourage scares me. I've tried adderall once. Never again. But so many other folks I'm in school with rely on that stuff. It's a borderline currency among some of them. And I've heard horror stories about xanax. Planning on mixing it with alcohol? I'll be praying for you. Nevermind the potential long term effects of extended dependence.

I've tried salvia twice and it was not worth the money. The first time was an interesting if brief distortion of reality with a pleasant afterglow, and the second time was less potent but had some interesting spatial/temporal distorting effects, but I could do that by being half-asleep. There was no reflection, no insight, no care. The only real plus was that I knew there was no real risk involved.

Which brings me to LSD, a drug that has brought me some very high highs and some very low lows. It's not a thing you play with. It's similarly as unreliable as heroin when it comes to potency...you never know if you're getting a batch where one hit will send you on a 12-hour journey into the stratosphere or one where you take 3 hits, feel high for 15 minutes, then get nothing. Then there's the issue of set and setting. You gotta be comfortable with the people you're with, in a comfortable environment. And of course, you can't be afraid of your mind and where it's going to go, because the more you try to fight it the worse the experience gets. I know of no physical risks from acid, but you really never know how it will play on your mind and where it will take you.

The bottom line is that you have to know yourself, know your drug as much as you can, know that there are always certain risks, and determine whether it's worth it. Most people in my experience don't do that. And of course, no chemical compound is a panacea. There are better and much more important and fulfilling things in life than getting fucked up or seeing God.

I remember at 13 my dad had the "don't take drugs" conversation with me and was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't interested in them to the extent that I ended up leading the conversation. There's someone in my (semi-distant) family who has had issues with drugs and that has been enough of a lesson for me, I don't need someone to tell me the bad side to taking them when I have personally seen what it can do to someone.

I don't think that its education that is the issue when it comes to drugs (though education on them could go more in depth), its the lack of common sense used by those who decide to start taking them. People know they're bad and can cause some long lasting effects but they choose to take them regardless of what they're taught, most of the time it starts off as a social thing with their friends and then carries on from there. We live in a society where too many people have the attitude that things won't happen to them therefore they need not fear anything.

I could probably write a short book about my drug experimentation and indulgences (most of which was done by my early 20s, and I never was an addict, though I stopped taking E because I knew I would be if I didn't) and with others into drugs, so it's best if I restrict what I "learned" to school indoctrination.

However, in an interesting bit of irony some shrooms I tried when I was 14 made me realize I hated school as it got in the way of my learning. And I must say what those shrooms taught (or helped me realize) about school was far more accurate than what school taught me about drugs. Roflmao

Oh, yeah, I had a short flashback about a week later while in class that manifested as an intense giggle fit that lasted about 5 minutes. Luckily the teacher didn't seem to realize WHY I was giggling like that. :redface:

In Italy drugs and sex educatons are taboo (we have the vatican...).
I had seen a lot of people addicted to drugs with orrible effects... I had a lot of other kind of problems when I was a teenager and i didn't want to add the drugs at the list.
I've only try some light drugs, like marjuana, but I want to try ero and others. But I'm scared, I don't want that bad habit...

I always thought about the consequences of my actions... Since I was a teen, or before.