Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebooks vs paper books
Hey! I read both!

MisterLove Wrote:I recently found out about ebooks and I think they're great.

Ebooks are cheap, they don't take up any space and, unlike paper books, they don't harm the environment.

2 questions:

1) Are paper books doomed?

2) Any websites with e-books that you'd like to recommend?

[SIZE="3"]I prefer paper. I don't read e-books.

Actually, paper books are biodegradable, while e-book readers are not.[/SIZE]

And yes, paper is going the way of the dinosaurs. The newspaper industry felt the harsh crunch a few years ago.
They have been scouring to try to get everything they do online since then.
Magazines are next. There probably wont be much use for even reading anything online in the next 100 years...everything will be some sort of video with some person telling you what they want you to know. The printed word will pretty much be useless.

Ive already seen a ton of bookstores go under, including the "big" bookstore companies. The only bookstore doing well are the used bookstores.

I enjoy paper books but eBooks are more handy when in public and when you have limited storage space. Ye, the value of books will be going up and will become more and more of a trophy and an aesthetic thing rather than something you would actually read.

"Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a-a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and-and-and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a - it, uh, it has no-no texture, no-no context. It's-it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then-then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible, it should be, um, smelly." --Giles (BtVS: I, Robot...You Jane)

I love my kindle but I really really really love my paper books. nothing more gratifying than reading a page turner and literally turning a page! plus nothing beats creasing the corner of pages Big Grin

I don't personally like e-books, they just don't feel the same to me.

It's like eating ice cream out of a teapot instead of a bowl, there's just something off about it.

Personally I like the feel of a book in my hand.... E-Books are okay, but I get distracted more easily with them, and a digital screen hurts my eyes after a long period of time. Because of this, I've just never bought a kindle.

Kumawool Wrote:Personally I like the feel of a book in my hand.... E-Books are okay, but I get distracted more easily with them, and a digital screen hurts my eyes after a long period of time. Because of this, I've just never bought a kindle.

Its the same with me, the screen just hurts your eyes abit. Even e-paper screens do, just because they're digital. It's not just not quite as calming and relaxing as a book.

Personally I would want a real (paper) book - even if it was a big old textbook LOL

I'd be fine with an e-book if (and only if) it was free..I'd never pay for any file
(same goes for music.. I'd never pay for a MP3, but will buy a CD)

Paper books all the way Bighug

We have thousands of books in our family and I go to the municipal library two times a week. I love that every book looks different - the type of the paper, of the text, the weight, the smell. No way I am giving this up Smile