Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edward Snowden good or bad
Dare I comment.

Ok yes I will.

As the holder of a security clearance I cannot condone his actions.

My problem is not that I don't see the moral reason why he felt he needed to, I can. But the simple fact is when he signed his non disclosure agreement he gave his word that he would keep his mouth shut.

I'm very big on integrity. I made the mistake of giving mine up before, and I've regretted it ever since then.

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Some people like him in history are now regarded as heroes. Just wait 50-100 years and he'll be the same. He just won't have an easy time while he's still alive.

He can come and hide in my bed!!

[Image: stock-footage-close-up-of-feet-wriggling...in-bed.jpg]

Ardus,

Along the lines of integrity - isn't there something to be said for breaking your commitments to do what's right?

I like to believe that I would have done the same thing he did, a million times over.

Integrity is huge to me, too, I have the word tattooed on my arm - literally. But I also feel like part of having integrity and being true to yourself is understanding when you've made commitments that are unethical, unfair, or we are just otherwise unable to keep and pursuing the best path rather than the one we committed to simply because we said we would.

Just a thought...

TKC Wrote:Ardus,

Along the lines of integrity - isn't there something to be said for breaking your commitments to do what's right?

I like to believe that I would have done the same thing he did, a million times over.

Integrity is huge to me, too, I have the word tattooed on my arm - literally. But I also feel like part of having integrity and being true to yourself is understanding when you've made commitments that are unethical, unfair, or we are just otherwise unable to keep and pursuing the best path rather than the one we committed to simply because we said we would.

Just a thought...

I don't know

Yes I want to do what's right

But if I gave my word.

It's a hard decision for me.

I'm really really big on integrity and loyalty.

To me he just stabbed his friends in the back.

Richard

I agree with TKC. Stabbing friends in the back is one thing, but how far do you go for "friends?" If they start going down a path that is terribly wrong, do you stand by them every step of the way? Where do you draw the line?

I get where you're coming from, ardus. I was in the US military too. Integrity is a top priority, but what do you do for someone who reveals their own lack of integrity?

I really don't know.

I couldn't do it.

I couldn't hurt my friends.

Richard

ardus Wrote:Dare I comment.

Ok yes I will.

As the holder of a security clearance I cannot condone his actions.

My problem is not that I don't see the moral reason why he felt he needed to, I can. But the simple fact is when he signed his non disclosure agreement he gave his word that he would keep his mouth shut.

I'm very big on integrity. I made the mistake of giving mine up before, and I've regretted it ever since then.

Richard

The difference between you and him, is he went in for the sole purpose of getting information....at any cost.

Plus, if the government wasnt so corrupt, they wouldnt need to put security clauses in their contracts and applications.

And, how are we, the people, supposed to find this stuff out, if people like him dont do these things?

I think Edward Snowden did the right thing, by wishing to blow the whistle, but the WRONG thing in fleeing to totalitarian Fascist Russia. Even fleeing to the Holy See in Rome would have been better in that respect!
Altogether the amount of airtime that the media have spent on the Snowden case is RIDICULOUS; just the odd report on him on the day he ended up in Moscow airport would have been sufficient; there are FAR MORE IMPORTANT things to report on, such as the civil war that is killing hundreds of thousands in Syria or the deteriorating situation in IRAQ. Indeed if th US authorities spent less time hassling the likes of Snowden or Manning and MORE in putting an END to the Syria war and driving a 'wedge' across Iraq to divide it into seperate peaceful Shia and Sunni states, we soon wouldnt have ANYTHING to worry about regarding concerns over terrorism and Islamo-facism.....
Still, I suppose the insane obsession over a couple of young computer-hackers, as well as the wonderful news here in the UK about a year ago about Murdoch being censured for news Internation phone-hacking is par-for-the-course during our annual SILLY-SEASON....!