Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBT Sites to be added to National Historic Register (US)
I had seen something about this project back in June but here is an update.

A project by the National Park Service to identify significant sites in the history of LGBT people in the United States has reached over 400 properties.

Scores of LGBT Sites Eyed for Landmark Status - Billerico Project

Some of the places I hope will be included:

• All Saints Episcopal Church in Hoboken, N.J. which in 1989 became the home of the first outreach ministry by/for gay and lesbian people to be sponsored by a mainstream religious group
  • The Upstairs Lounge in New Orleans, which was the scene of a deliberately-set fire that killed many
  • The Continental Baths, in the basement of the Ansonia Hotel in New York, where Bette Midler and others entertained patrons
  • Harvey Milk's camera shop in the Castro, which is now an HRC office
  • Macondray Lane in Russian Hill which is supposedly the inspiration for Barbary Lane in Amistead Maupin's series Tales of the City

What about you guys?

TBH that scares me

SilverBullet Wrote:TBH that scares me

If you want to elaborate I'd like to understand why.

What about Stonewall Inn in Grenwich Village?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:What about Stonewall Inn in Grenwich Village?

The Stonewall is, I'm almost certain, already on the National Register. The article said there were about 5 places that were added before this initiative.

It's difficult to pick a few! I've been to several of them in the two cities nearest me, plus some of the ones in other cities.

I am not sure if the building is still there but if so...I would choose Mauds in San Francisco....

It was a lesbian bar and feminist hangout...spent a weekend there once...LOVED the people and the vibe a lot...something very special and magical about that place..

When I think of iconic bars in San Francisco...I immediately think of I Beam on Haight and End Up, Eagle and The Stud in South of Market area and also Buzzbys on Polk. Trocadero Transfer was unique as well...a lot of great artists performed there....

I never liked Castro very much so I don't know the places there very well..