Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emmys 2011
The Emmy Awards are the biggest nominations for television in the U.S. and nominations were announced this morning. On the gay side of things, Glee and Modern Family were both represented along with actors Chris Colfer, Jane Lynch, and all the adult cast of Modern Family (both received nods in guest acting as well, including out actor Nathan Lane for MF). On the drama side, I'm not certain of gay representation on all the shows as I don't have pay cable (I believe there's been at least some exploration on the nominated Boardwalk Empire?) but Archie Panjabi was again recognized for her potrayal of bisexual Kalinda on The Good Wife. Mildred Pierce also received multiple nominations.

Glad to see noms for Friday Night Lights, Parks & Recreation and Game of Thrones as well, but some snubs too - what do you think?
http://www.viewfromtheremote.com/index/emmy-noms-

The standouts for me are Edie Falco who I think I could watch read the phone book...she is the only actress to win the best drama and comedy actress award. I am a fan of hers initially from the show OZ and then of course The Sopranos and Nurse Jackie is one of my favorite guilty pleasures...

Nathan Lane's guest appearance on Modern Family is another standout...the scenes with him and Ed O'Neill were comedy genius.

I would go with Breaking Bad and Bryan Cranston for best series and actor every time and I realize he has won 2-3 times in a row but the series and the actor are brilliant. I am not sure but I think maybe the series did not show during the eligibility period. I just saw an ad that it is starting soon ...I clear my schedule to watch BB.

Top Chef is my favorite "reality" show and another appointment TV hour for me and I love the hosts...I thought the All Stars edition sucked a little bit because they were unfair to the contestants and basically steered Richard and Mike in the finale at some of the better chef's expense or at least that is how the edit appeared. Thats the thing with "reality" shows...they aren't reality...they have script and they are masterfully edited to show us what they want to show us...but the cooking and the interesting challenges are ultimately the star on this show and for that alone I would give to Top Chef for a second year.

Love SNLs Kristen Wiig but WHY did she retire Penelope AND Gilley? They were the two best characters on the show. She should be punished for this:biggrin:

I would like to see Bill Maher take it this year from Jon Stewart. I like Stewart but I love Maher and think the show is usually more thought provoking and engrossing than any of the others.

I would have went with Tom Colicchio and Padma Lakshmi for Best Hosts.

Most glaring omission IMO besides Breaking Bad is True Blood.

I also would have liked to see Christopher Meloni nominated along with Mariska for his last season...he is maybe the most underrated actor on TV. He is another OZ alumni like Falco and I have been a fan ever since he appeared on OZ.

Those are my thoughtsConfusedmile:

I'm afraid I haven't seen many of these people operate or act, and not heard or seen many of the programmes you are referring to, but having watched the whole of OZ a couple of summers ago with Marshlander, I think we might go along with Christopher Meloni's and Edie Falco's nominations.
Now I really really must get Breaking Bad. If East likes it, I'm bound to find it interesting. :biggrin:
Yes, and what of True Blood, eh??? Thought provoking, well written... entertaining.

PA...Breaking Bad is the best series on TV at the moment IMO....It is gritty and raw and sometimes hard to watch...much like OZ in that respect. Cranston and his costar Aaron Paul are simply brilliant bringing to life their multidimensional characters. EXTREMELY well written.

Have you watched True Blood?

East, Breaking Bad indeed was not eligible this year as it went from spring 2010 airing to summer 2011, I believe the period is either start of june or july of 2010 to start of june or july of 2011 so it (and Curb Your Enthusiasm) both missed this round. Which is fine by me as I like seeing the wealth spread around a bit Smile I expect it'll be back with nominations next year though

Thanks Josh...I wasn't sure but I was thinking that might be the case and it might be nice to see room for some other winners so I agree. I couldn't see how they could possibly omit Breaking Bad but then again they omitted The Wire and OZ for so many years and both were definitely Emmy worthy series.

East Wrote:PA...Breaking Bad is the best series on TV at the moment IMO....It is gritty and raw and sometimes hard to watch...much like OZ in that respect. Cranston and his costar Aaron Paul are simply brilliant bringing to life their multidimensional characters. EXTREMELY well written.

Have you watched True Blood?

Have watched the first series with Marshlander, and have bagged the second and third series but we haven't got around to watching those... I'm currently bagging the fourth series too. Anything you shouldn't spoil for me??? lol.

I'm still two seasons of Desperate Housewives behind. lol. Confusedmile:

princealbertofb Wrote:Have watched the first series with Marshlander, and have bagged the second and third series but we haven't got around to watching those... I'm currently bagging the fourth series too. Anything you shouldn't spoil for me??? lol.

Have you "met" MaryAnn yet? I wont' spoil anything or say much because suspense is part of the fun.

Of course I’ll be watching to see Jim Parsons pick up another award, and as all ways……..Sheldon Cooper For The Win.