Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emotional read...
Has anyone ever been so moved by a book that it haunts them long after you have closed the cover?

I picked up a copy of “The Stranger” by Caroline B. Cooney thinking it was going to be a good tale of terror, and was instead lured into one of the most heartbreaking love stories I have ever read. I just couldn’t put it down and finished in one sitting. Since my sensitivity to such works can become overwhelming, a story like this will often trouble me for days even weeks after, and certainly cause me to have a fitful sleep. As it is approaching midnight at the time of writing this, I hope only to gain a sense of relief more promptly. Yes, I shed a few rare tears… and even threw the book across the room. Something I had never done before.

Yes. Don't feel like giving examples right now, however. And it would be meaningless without explaining the context and spoilers if I did so maybe it's best to keep it a simple "yes."

Harry Potter

:S

when I read The Hours, it was a little like that, but the hours kind of just made me think way too seriously about suicide o.o

I was very touched by the diary of Lady Murasaki. She was a Japanese court lady who lived about 1000 years ago, wrote one of the earliest novels of all time and who documented some of her thoughts in a very personal diary. She describes some of her feelings about aging, about not having married yet and expresses lots of insecurity born out of rumours and remarks spread around by her fellow court ladies. I find it amazing that the thoughts of a lonely woman born a thousand years ago, expressed in a language that I don't master can be conveyed to me like that.

HumbleTangerine Wrote:I was very touched by the diary of Lady Murasaki. She was a Japanese court lady who lived about 1000 years ago, wrote one of the earliest novels of all time and who documented some of her thoughts in a very personal diary. She describes some of her feelings about aging, about not having married yet and expresses lots of insecurity born out of rumours and remarks spread around by her fellow court ladies. I find it amazing that the thoughts of a lonely woman born a thousand years ago, expressed in a language that I don't master can be conveyed to me like that.

As a major history buff, thanks for the suggestion! I shall now be on the prowl for this elusive prey… 10,000 pages or less she will be devoured... hahahaha