Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ender's Game.
Lalo Wrote:Get the hell out! Tell me that it isn't true! OMG...I just looked it up. You are right. He sits on the board for NOM and is a mormon.

Okay...well there goes that.

Ever since Proposition 8, the Mormon and Catholics have been on my sh!tlist. I personally boycott any and all endeavors where my money can contribute to the welfare of either entity. That means that I don't go to Cinemark theatres and haven't since 2008. I won't support any Catholic charity or organization, no matter how much good they might do, because some of that money gets funneled back to the church itself. I haven't seen any of the Twilight films because I refuse for 10% of MY money to be tithed to the Mormon Church.

Why do I feel so strongly? Because during Proposition 8, the rules of the game changed in this country. These two organizations, who have always preached against us, became aggressively political in trying to subdue us. They succeeded. For the first time in this country's history, civil rights which had been granted to a group of people, were taken away. Since that time I have refused to knowingly support them in any way.

I have friends who think that my position is ludicrous. Quite frankly, I question their intelligence.
If an active member of the KKK opens a burger joint in your neighborhood, would you buy burgers from there knowing that your money is not only supporting the owner, but is also most likely being used to continue the subjugation of human beings? I wouldn't. I couldn't. Yet the LGBT community is being targeted by these two groups and we don't have the common sense to STOP giving our money to them? What the hell? Are we stupid?

By the way, before anyone gets all holier than thou because they belong to either one of those churches, I was born and raised a Catholic. I went to a Jesuit High School. I also studied religion and theology. My partner attended a Catholic monastery and studied to be a priest. This issue has NOTHING to do with the religions themselves, It has to do with civil rights and two church organizations that moved directly into the political arena and successfully bought enough votes to deny civil rights to thousands of Americans. If you aren't pissed by that, then you haven't been paying attention!

Okay...I am stepping off my soapbox now. Sorry about the rant.

Rant X2. I feel the same way...

Beau Wrote:I read the book and it's great!

I'm with you on not supporting the author though. I'll probably pirate the movie.

Lol me too! Cat

I loved Ender's Game, but unlike all of Isaac Asimov's novels, the further books of the series did not enthrall me as much. I am looking forward to seeing the movie, just because of Harrison Ford, whom I adore as an actor after Blade Runner. But, once again, my favorite science fiction author of all time is Isaac Asimov, cannot be beat.