Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enders Game - paying money to a homophobe
I was going to add a reply to the other threads on this, but they are already closed.

So the author of Enders Game is a huge homophobe. He preaches and practices anti-gay bigotry.

I was wanting to see this movie, but upon reading many of the online articles about this jerk, I wont be seeing it.

One article claims he wont be making money off the ticket sales. Boohoo....he was paid upfront, millions of dollars, by the movie company because they knew this would happen. And just in case they didnt make enough money on it, they paid this jerk up front. So he's already made his millions, regardless of what ticket sales are. He will also make a percentage of movie income from other movie sections. He will also make a killing off of merchandising, higher book sales, and further book sales from future additions.

Do you spend money on things like this, that knowingly support homophobes and bigots?

lol I actually got really confused at why all those fast food restaurants and stuff started getting all involved in the gay rights debate, and that weird oreo advertisement with the rainbow coloured stuffing (which was missing indigo btw... just saying).

I don't think it's quite the right platform for the gay rights issue... xD because what if your favourite movie/book/restaurant/sandwich is suddenly homophobic??

I'm still gonna eat my food.

I had to google the film cause i hadnt heard of it and didnt want to comment, it would be something id consider, providing its not anti gay propoganda, which is not, a sci-fi tale with harrison ford. I,d like to say no I wouldn't watch it but as a film fan that wouldn't be true, though if it has bad reviews that might be all I need to not see it, in any case I'll wait till its on the bargain shelf or telly and I hope that guy gets scurvy.

I'll overlook if someone is a bigot, after all I'm paying for entertainment, and if I boycotted everyone I disagreed with then I might as well go live in a cave. OTOH, if they actively support anti-gay organizations as Card does then that's another matter.

Luckily it's a moot point as I have no interest in his stories anyway...and I'll add that some of the things he's said has made me wonder how his stories could be any good anyway, at least in a way I'd find compelling (that includes shades of gray & depth in characters and plot which would surprise me if he had that in his books).

I just want to see it to watch how well Asa Butterfiled is developing as an actor.

The kid truely captured my attention in 'The Boy In Stripped Pyjamas' and mesmerised me in his appearances in 'Merlin'

I think he is going to be one of the few succesful child actors that will transition to adult actor without the hullabula...up there with the greatness of Elija Wood

Ender's Game is one of my all-time favorite sci-fi books. It captivated me the first time I read it, and it later joined the list of very few books I have read more than once. I may watch the movie just because of that, but more likely I will skip it because of that. (I'd rather reread it again then have my memory of the story crapped on by Hollywood.) Here's what Slate has to say about it.

I don't think my paying to see the movie will affect author Orson Scott Card in any way, but if you have hard feelings about his politics, make your own choice. He is a great-great-grandson of Brigham Young, so how could he not be whacked? (No apologies to any practicing Mormons that may be among us.)

Card's homophobic stance is a direct outgrowth of his Mormon faith. The stances he has taken come straight from church doctrine and teaching in many if not most cases. I don't like to see people judging him personally for any of it without acknowledging where it all came from. I really care a great deal for many of his books, but just consider his politics misguided. I'd rather see people questioning how he came to believe the way he does on gay issues than boycotting the movie.

Now let the flames commence.

Furthermore I'm kinda pissed about the casting choices. Harrison Ford's character is supposed to be obese and Ben Kingsley's character is Maori. I think they're just a tad thin and white for their respective roles. They're taking food right from some fat guy's mouth.

Sorry for that last part. Couldn't resist. Really should have.

I love scifi, and its been SO VERY LONG since a good scifi movie came out....I was wanting to go see this very badly....but I cant do it now. Maybe I will see it if I get a RedBox freebie, after its out on video...but he isnt getting any of my money.

And I dont know how Mormons can have such drastic casts inside their religion. Ive had Mormon friends before, and they were nothing but super sweet and friendly to everyone, regardless of sex, gender orientation, color, race, or other religious backgrounds.

Oh well.

Even if he is a homophobe the movie is completely rubbish