Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ending Homophobic Bullying?
Both Labour and the Tories are promising to do something about homophobic bullying. I am trying to understand how they are going to achieve this. The Secretary of State for Education can tell schools not to tolerate homophobic bullying, but what will the schools actually do? I accept that there a religious schools that are anti-gay and are hesitant to challenge homophobic bullying and I can therefore imagine something could be done about them. However there is plenty of homophobic bullying in ordinary schools. There is also plenty of 'ordinary' bullying as well, and schools have never managed to put a stop to that.

So is this just a case of filling a manifesto document or am I missing something?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Nope, I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head......
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I feel very strongly about this and have done a bit of research. The UK is not the worst place by a long way. There are laws and local regulations re bullying. The culture in the UK is much better than in Spain for example where macho man is supposed to look after himself and domestic violence is rife. But I agree that some schools do not take this seriously enough. However the local regulations are generally in place and do work in my experience if parents have the knowledge and self assurance to stick up for their kids. Unfortunately some parents are themselves intimidated by schools.