Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Endless headache help!
meridannight Wrote:it's been used off label for cluster headaches.

since OP mentioned two different drugs, both prescription-only, and not exactly your first-choice medications for headaches, i assumed this is an ongoing problem for him, and that his doctor prescribed them. it is impossible to advise him to do anything without knowing his exact medical and drug history, and scaring him with outlandish theories is not gonna help either. brain cancer is a stretch.

he should leave it up to the professionals.

Ofcourse.

But both drugs are taken oral, meaning they're subject to the first pass effect. As they seemingly don't have the desired effect on him, maybe their half-life is significantly lower than intended or maybe they're treating the wrong thing.

Cuddly Wrote:Ofcourse.

But both drugs are taken oral, meaning they're subject to the first pass effect. As they seemingly don't have the desired effect on him, maybe their half-life is significantly lower than intended and normal or maybe they're treating the wrong thing.

we don't know that they're not having a desired effect because we don't know how long he's been on them. is this the first time he took them? or has he been using them successfully for months/years until now? what?

all he's said to us is he's having a headache right now. we have no idea what came before it, if the drugs worked, how they worked, and what's changed now. could be food and/or interactions, could be whole array of things here. we essentially have no information at all. which is why we're in a bad position to speculate on anything.

there is also the fact that pain medications can actually cause headaches themselves over long-term (this has been known to happen with Imitrex that he's taking):

medication overuse headache

i am not saying this is the case with him. i'm saying there are too many possibilities to adequately even speculate without having his medical information. the guy said he's had a headache for three days, and people are jumping to epilepsy and his diagnosis being wrong. come on, guys. you're smarter than that.

if we had more information, i could understand informed speculations. right now, we could throw a hundred different theories at him based on what he's said. until he comes here and specifies his condition further, that's not helping.