Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Episcopal LGBT Organization Marks 40 Years of Ministry
In 1974, a young English professor from Fort Valley, Georgia phoned Grace Cathedral in San Francisco asking where he and his husband (!) might find other queer Episcopalians. The response was less than charitable. Undeterred, he started a newsletter for people within the church like himself and advertised it in both queer and religious circles. That became a chapter-based organization with "Safe spaces" in 60 cities for queer Episcopalians and their allies to worship, plan, dream and advocate together.

In the years since, the church has grown far more inclusive, ordaining LGBT people as clergy and recognizing their gifts in all aspects of its life. There is still much to do as the bishop in a given area determines to what degree resolutions passed by the triennial General Conventions are implemented, and we still have some areas of the country that are hold-outs. In 2012 a rite for blessing same-gender relationships was approved and its being used in 60-70 of our 100 or so dioceses, many of which draw no distinction between same-gender and inter-gender marriages. We have 500+ parishes that identify as welcoming, and are moving to a congregation-based structure for our work.

Last week we celebrated the beginning of our 40th year with a Eucharist in Raleigh, N.C. because we are doing some other outreach work there involving worker's rights as part of the Moral Mondays movement. Our founder, now Dr. Louie Clay (they made it legal last year but have considered themselves married since the 1970s), and his husband Ernest were our honored guests. He is 79 years old and still an active voice in the church.

Our preacher, the Rt. Rev. Michael Curry, is the bishop of North Carolina and author of the book We Need Some Crazy Christians. He talks here about how love should be at the core of all that we do.

Bishop Michael Curry Preaches at Integrity 40th Anniversary Inaugural Eucharist

It was a Episcopal woman on another board many years ago who was from Atlanta that changed the way I thought about religious people in the US...

She helped me evolve my thinking because at one time I wanted nothing to do with anyone associated with the Bible or Koran or any book that was used to condemn gay people or subjugate women or endorse slavery......

She was brilliant and she did some really intense interpretation of scripture...I wish I could find it but those websites are lone gone....

Thanks to Alicia I now look for the positive in religion and religious individuals and focus my energy on that instead of responding to the negative forces which is a waste of time and energy for me...

Congrats on the accomplishments of the church!