Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estate sale tomorrow.
The past two weeks I have watched as Bob's house was gone through and changed from a home of 50+ years into a thrift store.

The only thing I am thankful for is that I wasn't the one to clean out the garage.... Trust me, after 20+ years of Bob's hording going unchecked that was a minor nightmare.

Anyway, I'm watching antiques and family heirlooms get slapped with sales tags... I've been watching precious memories just being put on blunt display and soon--- starting in the wee hours of Friday morning I will watch as stuff walks away.... The new owners with no clue of the life attached to that stuff...

Bob was my landlord for 16 years... In the end I was not just his caretaker - for the property, but also his caregiver as his health went south. Through the years I got told many interesting tales, many of which I cannot recall the details.

Technically my 'care giving' started last year, but the reality is I snuck around the house, peaking in windows when he started having falls. Going inside to check up on him whilst he overslept... minor things...

Two weeks after Bob passed, whilst watering pots, winding the clocks and running water in the bathrooms and kitchen to keep the pipes clear, I just couldn't stand having that chair sitting in the corner in the TV room... so I moved it because it was just easier to walk into the house without That Chair sitting empty.

Funny, I was still expecting Bob to be there... I was still hesitant to just walk in, wanting to use the door knocker first...

Well I don't have to worry about That Chair... last week it was unceremoniously hauled off to the dump because Tuntun II chewed the arm off when he was a puppy, oh 18 years ago... Who was Tuntun....? Does it matter anymore?

If I was a crying sort I would have started shedding tears when I watched it drive off on the back of the truck heaped with other garbage. I just swallowed hard a dozen times to clear the blockage in my throat.

I'm not sure what is worse, a fully furnished house that got stuck in time when a person died, or watching a person's life just get shuffled around priced and turned into a store.

Don't expect me to be here for a few days... I need to sort stuff inside (me) and stuff.

I hope there is someone as caring as you to remember me when my earthly goods are disposed.

Bowyn, where are you going to live now?

My friends and I have talked about this a few times. One of my friend's held an estate sale after her mother died (her father had died a few years prior).

We talked about how she and her sisters had to figure out the price of things, and then what to do with stuff that was left over. If no one wanted it, what do you do? Throwing it out felt wrong, it meant something to their parents, but realistically, if no one wanted it or had use for it, what was the point in taking it.

Then we thought about the day we die, and how much stuff we have, that our family will have to go through and decide what to do with it.

I mean, who would possibly want a bunch of my Super Friends or Brokeback Mountain stuff?

I hope you are taking care of yourself, Bowyn! Sending hugs to you!!!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Bowyn...I am sorry for you loss......

He was lucky to have you as a friend and caretaker.

Bighug

Just for you BA.

You are in my thoughts buddy.
XOXOXO
~Beaux

memechose Wrote:Bowyn, where are you going to live now?

I picked out my spot under the nearest bridge.

That is a half joke so no smiley attached.

Right now I'm supposed to stay here until the house sells - because squatters and tweakers ripping out the copper stuff... you know bad stuff.

How long until the house sells? Unknown and unknowable.

The house need a lot of work, new electrical wiring, new plumbing, the living room walls are being spread outward by the roof... causing a parting crack in the gable wall, the faux cross beam has dropped 3.5 inches and his hanging there by a thread and a prayer.

Then there may be the sewage and water hook up.... Mold issues.

Everything is and has been up in the air since Bob died in February.

Things turned a little worst yesterday between the barely civil relationship I have with the son-in-law... He made the mistake of sending me a rather nasty email... which without real pay, and a lot of extra work, and his failure to get a contract with me, which means the old contract with Bob is still in play, he owes me - like a lot.

I can throw a mechanic's lien against the property for unpaid services rendered, which I have decided I will do that - just to make selling of the house a bit more difficult.

I'm currently gathering up all of the stuff for my case. I'm waiting for an email from someone who has directions on how to proceed with my case with a lawyer type person.

Since I have never felt a good reason to sue anyone, I have no idea how to proceed in a civil suit. Mind that is saying a lot there, its telling you that in 48 years of life no one has managed to seriously piss me off to the point where I view suing as a solution. This may shed some light on the type of crap I have been dealing with for months with Rod.

It appears that I have a lot more traction with the implied contract angle than I knew.... So I may actually be able to sue for a lot more here.

Bob managed to never piss me off in the 16 years I lived here. The man was cheap and annoyed me, but never managed to get me mad enough to 'do something'

Rod - well he broke the land speed record there.

Well the estate sale is almost over.

I have walked through the near empty house - and managed to keep my law about shedding tears.

Its just been a very emotionally dragging experience for me. Its not the first time I have experienced this sort of thing, but it never gets easier no matter how many times one lives the experience..... Which I think is totally and completely unfair. *pouts*.

I was tasked with recalling history... That started early yesterday morning when a knock on my door lead to me being asked if I could answer a (one) question...

Unfortunately for me I know the history of a lot of the stuff that was in the house, and the history of the house and the property and.... So I was ask a few more questions than just one...

I'm inside now because the piano just got loaded up and went away... I kinda sorta broke my law about tears outside of showers...

IDK why that one hits me the hardest.... It is not like I played the instrument for hours at a time, or heard Bob practicing for several years for choir or something that might have sentimental memories...

So I decided to come here and see if other people had problems I could deal with so I don't have to face my own emotional issues....

That didn't last long....

:tongue:

(((((Bowyn)))))
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!