Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etymology!
So whats yer name mean?

Philip

Usage: English, Scandinavian, Dutch, Biblical
Pronounced: FIL-ip (English), FEE-lip (Dutch)

From the Greek name Φιλιππος (Philippos) which means "friend of horses", composed of the elements φιλος (philos) "friend" and ‘ιππος (hippos) "horse". This was the name of five kings of Macedon, including Philip II the father of Alexander the Great. The name appears in the New Testament belonging to two people who are regarded as saints. First, one of the twelve apostles, and second, an early figure in the Christian church known as Philip the Deacon.

Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Philip

IAN
Gender: Masculine Usage: Scottish, English Pronounced: EE-ən (English) [key]
Modern Scottish form of JOHN

Dull or what?!

Mine was slightly better yep Roflmao

IanG Wrote:IAN
Gender: Masculine Usage: Scottish, English Pronounced: EE-ən (English) [key]
Modern Scottish form of JOHN

Dull or what?!
No, not dull, rather fascinating... when you think of all the different versions of John

Ioannis
Yannis
Yann
Ivan
Giovanni
Jean
Jehan
Johannes
Johan
Juan
João
Ian
Iain
Istvan
Invasion

DOUGLAS
Gender: Masculine Usage: Scottish, English Pronounced: DUG-ləs (English) [key]
Anglicized form of the Scottish surname Dubhghlas, which meant "dark river" from Gaelic dubh "dark" and glais "water, river". Douglas was originally a river name, which then became a Scottish clan name (belonging to a powerful line of Scottish earls). It has been used as a given name since the 16th century.

Interesting, I did not know that about my name Rolleyes

DAVID
Usage: English, Jewish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Slovene, German, Scandinavian, Dutch, Biblical Other Scripts: דָוִד (Hebrew), Давид (Russian) Pronounced: DAY-vid (English), dah-VEED (Hebrew), da-VEED (French), dah-VEET (Russian), DAH-fit (German), DAH-vit (Dutch) [key]
[/url]
Possibly derived from Hebrew [url=http://www.behindthename.com/support/transcribe.php?type=HB&target=dwd]דוד
(dvd) meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him.

This name has been used in Britain since the Middle Ages. It has been especially popular in Wales, where it is used in honour of the 5th-century patron saint of Wales (also called Dewi), as well as in Scotland, where it was borne by two kings. Famous bearers include empiricist philosopher David Hume (1711-1776) and explorer David Livingstone (1813-1873). This is also the name of the hero of Charles Dickens' semiautobiographical novel 'David Copperfield' (1850).

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Shadow Wrote:DAVID

Possibly derived from Hebrew דוד (dvd) meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him.

Interestingly, the story of David and Jonathan is one of the gay relationships that are believed to be portrayed in the Bible.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Thank you fred and Shadow that was very enlightening.

My birth name

KEVIN
Usage: English, Irish, French
Pronounced: KEV-in (English) [key]
Anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, derived from the older Irish Coemgen, composed of the Old Irish elements coem "kind, gentle, handsome" and gein "birth". Saint Caoimhín established a monastery in Glendalough, Ireland in the 6th century and is the patron saint of Dublin. It became popular in the English-speaking world outside of Ireland in the 20th century.

Liking the "Kind, Gentle and Handsome bit Confusedmile:

My name I changed by Deed Poll a long long time ago

JAMIE Gender: Masculine & Feminine
Usage: Scottish, English
Pronounced: JAY-mee [key]
Originally a Lowland Scots diminutive of JAMES. Since the late 19th century it has also been used as a feminine form.

Well I have certainly been called a "Diminutive Diva" before

lloll

princealbertofb Wrote:No, not dull, rather fascinating... when you think of all the different versions of John

Ioannis
Yannis
Yann
Ivan
Giovanni
Jean
Jehan
Johannes
Johan
Juan
João
Ian
Iain
Istvan
Invasion

Thank you. I never there was so much to me! :biggrin:
Actually, I quite being a Giovani for a while.
Ciao for now. Smile