Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euro 2008 Final!
Hyde Wrote:Spanish is a HORRID language, just talk English with a lisp - sorted.
German is like *DROOLS*. Ahh, mein lieblingssprach.

I find that comment a little bit ignorant and crass, sorry Hyde, but I don't see how a language can be HORRID. I think they are all beautiful, each in their own way... even though the sound of some them may put you on edge... it could just be that your ear is just not used to the "music" of one particular language. Languages are just magic because they convey so many things and so many emotions. I am just as happy learning to say something in Spanish as in German (and even though I find Arabic difficult to pronounce, I'd be happy to know more about it too)... I think your disgust of a language is more cultural than reasoned... but then I may be wrong. Somehow your expression of disgust at something that you don't fully understand or know is akin to some people saying they don't like GAYS because they don't understand them... See where I'm coming from? It makes you sound bigoted. I'd understand such a comment as: "I prefer the sound of German to that of Spanish" but to call a language HORRID just makes no sense! :confused:

marshlander Wrote:I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder. Albert can speak to me in whatever language he likes and I still find it damn sexy.

Lou Reed once infamously said that Swedish wasn't a language, it was a disease of the tongue (opinions expressed by grumpy American rock stars do not necessarily reflect the views of anyone here, of course Wink ).

Danish befits that definition better, LOOOOL (now that's only a joke, Hyde!!!)

I just don't like the language? I think it sounds disgusting?
As a friend of mine whom studies Spanish said, 'Spanish is not a language, it's a disease of the tongue'.

Oh so the finals are TONIGHT not last night... How stupid can I be... I was wondering why the city was so quiet and sedate this evening.

Hyde Wrote:I just don't like the language? I think it sounds disgusting?
As a friend of mine whom studies Spanish said, 'Spanish is not a language, it's a disease of the tongue'.
So now you can tell your friend where his quote came from Wink

marshlander Wrote:So now you can tell your friend where his quote came from Wink

I was referring to you but changed Danish/Swedish (Cant remember which) to Spanish :'( I tried to act smart, but it backfired Sad! haha, anyway, I don't like the spanish language because I hate the way it sounds, same with a familiar language too it, I have nothing against the people who live in the countries, I just don't like the language. -criez-.

Hyde Wrote:I was referring to you but changed Danish/Swedish (Cant remember which) to Spanish :'( I tried to act smart, but it backfired Sad! haha, anyway, I don't like the spanish language because I hate the way it sounds, same with a familiar language too it, I have nothing against the people who live in the countries, I just don't like the language. -criez-.
Whoops, okay. No biggie. Have a nice day Wink

I'm fascinated by the music inherent in other spoken languages, dialects and regional accents. Maybe it's in compensation for understanding so little of the literal meaning!

So Spain won, well done and congrats to them!

I did not watch the match and wondered who'd won until we saw streams of cars driving by with Spanish flags. It became very obvious. I didn't hear the results on the radio till about 1 this morning. So Spain 1 goal in the 33rd minute of the match and Germany zero. Must have been quite a tight fight.

They haven't won the European cup in 44 years so the whole of Spain will be celebrating with Fiesta for a few weeks now.