Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Europe trip
cardiganwearer Wrote:In the days immediately after christmas Germans traditionally wear swastika armbands, as a national reminder of past events. Best to bring your own because there's usually a run on them before christmas and the shops won't have them.

When people greet you in the street, they'll point at it and greet you enthusiastically. It's always good to know a little of the language of the place you're visiting, so be sure to return the greeting with "Mögest Du ewig in der Hölle schmoren!" and you'll find you make lots of new friends. A surprising number of them will be policemen.

Saying "du" to person that is not a friend of you is very rude.
Of course you don't want to be impolite, thats why you must say "Mögen Sie ewig in der Hölle schmoren" .

cardiganwearer Wrote:In the days immediately after christmas Germans traditionally wear swastika armbands, as a national reminder of past events. Best to bring your own because there's usually a run on them before christmas and the shops won't have them.

When people greet you in the street, they'll point at it and greet you enthusiastically. It's always good to know a little of the language of the place you're visiting, so be sure to return the greeting with "Mögest Du ewig in der Hölle schmoren!" and you'll find you make lots of new friends. A surprising number of them will be policemen.

Lol, I actually google "swastika armbands" haha. The first thing in my head before googling it was "Ebay!"

gerald Wrote:Saying "du" to person that is not a friend of you is very rude.
Of course you don't want to be impolite, thats why you must say "Mögen Sie ewig in der Hölle schmoren" .

Thanks for putting me right on that. It would be too terrible if anyone got into trouble after following my advice.

Tell them you are from Texas and you voted for Romney. LOL That will go over real big.

Seriously, where ever you go, try not to be a typical American idiot. By that I mean you should not expect them to cater to you your language or way of doing things. Most Europeans know whats going on in other countries besides their own. Most can speak several languages, most are well educated regardless of income.

Do you at least know the name of the president of France? Have you been to other parts of the US outside if your home state? Do you fallow politics? Even young people there are more informed then most Americans about that kind of stuff. Don't bash socialized anything there. What you see on American TV is not how they feel. They love their socialized healthcare system. Taxes are really high but they are willing to pay that. To them its not a choice, its a right.

You want some adventure, go to Italy. Very different vibe then France, the Amalfi Coast is stunning and so are some of the men. Capitalism is not king there, living a good life is. So don't assume that just because someone has a small rundown house they are looser. Statistically, they live longer then Americans because they know life is not all about money. Italian men also dress better then Americans. Its sort of how they are raised. Having a good tailor on call is as common to them as having a good suite is for us.

posterpicture Wrote:Hi old friends and new

So any tips about transportation )

For information about how to travel from one place to another by train in Europe you can use de site of DB (die Bahn or Deutsche Bundesbahn) This site is also available in Englisch.

As i am the only 27 year old whos never been abroad..... i would say dont rely on aunties advice xx

There is more than enough to see in France and Germany to fill 1-2 weeks. Save the rest for another trip someday. Lonely Planet guides and Rick Steves.com are great resources. If you stay in youth hostels you will meet other travelers and get the best local leads, while staying on a budget. You might even meet someone you want to spend a few days (or nights) with.

I suggest you pick a theme that interests you: music, art museums, cathedrals, food, architecture, etc, and create your own tour based on that. Then let us know how it goes. Have a great time!

Thanks for the advice!!
Many people said about visiting small towns and stuff but the problem is I am on a budget. Most small towns don't have discount public transportation to get there.
( or if they do then I couldn't find them since I don't know the langue. Not that I am ignorant about learning langue, I am only 21 and English is not even my first langues, I can't learn that many langues yet ).
I will defiantly visit them when I have more money and time though.

When I do the planing for my trip, basically I will have to eliminate either Prague, Venice, Rome, or Barcelona from my travel plan. Which one should I take out?
And is 2-3 days each cities in these cities above good enough? ( I will have to spend most of my trip in Germany and France where I have friends and family there ).

P.s: thanks for putting joke about stupid American haha. But I am not American. I just live in Texas lol

posterpicture Wrote:I will have to eliminate either Prague, Venice, Rome, or Barcelona from my travel plan. Which one should I take out?

Well, Venice is sinking, Rome is OK, but watch out for the pickpockets and scam artists around the obvious places you will want to visit and Barcelona along with the rest of Spain is broke due to the economy being in the toilet.

Never been to Prague, but I only hear good things about it.

So you can drop 3 of them for a start, and still fit in London - which is after all only an hours train ride from Paris ;-)

ObW
x

definitely go to prague ~

prague is awesome