Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euthanasia
Did you know that the word is derived from the Greek words meaning “good death”

Seeing as though this board is global and every country has a different view and law, I thought I would throw this subject open to debate.

“Mercy killing”, is it just that or is it contrary to medical ethics and putting our doctors in the role of killers?
Do we have the right to end our own lives if we become too ill and/or are severely disabled?

I just wondered what everyone’s views were on this subject.

I am not trying to be morbid; I just think this is a great topic for debate

Discuss……

I agree, this is a great topic to debate ...

Personally, I think that we as individuals ought to have the right to decide if we want to cash in our chips when we reach a certain stage. For me that's not the problem with euthanasia.

The problem stems (to my mind) from bringing other people into the mix ... so it's those handful of situations where the person is unable to terminate their own life and would require the assistance of a third party to do it, such as if they were on prolonged life support and/or in a vegetative state, particularly if they have already expressed their intention and wishes whilst in a fully compus state that they would never want to live in that condition.

It's a HUGELY diverse topic to discuss, so to avoid boring the tits off everybody on the boards with a huge huge huge long post (which I ASSURE you I'm capable of doing Lol2), I shall sum-up my opinion as being as follows :-

If you're able to take your own life and decide that you want to rather than face what's ahead of you, then that's a personal decision and choice. I would never be willing to accept that any of the people I can access would make such a decision, as I would want to do my utmost to help them through it rather than watch them falter, but ultimately it is a personal decision to my mind.

If you've expressed your wishes, whilst in control of all your faculties, calm and collected, that you would never want to live in a vegetative state (for example), and then you were reduced to such a state following a car crash (again, for example) then, as long as there is a sufficient body of evidence to demonstrate that you will not be recovering from that condition, then as much as I hate to say it, I would agree with your wishes to terminate.

IF, however, and this affects the majority of cases to my mind, something unexpected happens to you suddenly, and you are reduced to a condition where most people would say "(x) would never have wanted anybody to see themself in that condition", but you yourself are unable to indicate your desire to terminate, then the burden falls on third parties, and I will be the first to admit that (THANK GOD) I have never been put in this position, so this is just my opinion, and it is NOT based on practical experience ... but I just don't think I would ever be able to look at somebody and say "yes, put them out of their misery". I'm sure there are instances when I could make a call, but I would never, ever want that responsibility.

I do appreciate the sentiment of a merciful death, but I do not believe it is my place or right to pass judgment on the life or death of another.

... *looks up and realises he's waffled enough* ...

... *shuts up* ...

:redface:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

xXxXx

Such a tough call. In general I would agree with Shadow. Individual, personal and private decision, hopefully without involving another person. At least failed suicides aren't jailed any more.

But ... could it happen that a person who declares a wish to end it all in advance of reaching a poor state of health finds that, on arrival, it's more bearable than previously imagined and they change their minds?

A very good point, and precisely the area I chose not to focus on for fear of rambling :redface:.

I think that life generally finds a way, and so people perhaps do sometimes find situations easier to cope with when they're suffering them than to consider the alternative.

Unfortunately sometimes by the time you reach that point, you might be unable to say "I've changed my mind", and somehow "be careful what you wish for" sounds very trite at the side of the seriousness of what we're discussing ... :frown:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Reminds you a bit of when people thought that babies did not suffer just because they were babies and unable to express their suffering... Now there is more attention brought to that problem.

Shadow Wrote:A very good point, and precisely the area I chose not to focus on for fear of rambling :redface:.

I think that life generally finds a way, and so people perhaps do sometimes find situations easier to cope with when they're suffering them than to consider the alternative.

Unfortunately sometimes by the time you reach that point, you might be unable to say "I've changed my mind", and somehow "be careful what you wish for" sounds very trite at the side of the seriousness of what we're discussing ... :frown:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I guess that I can only add what I know from experience.

Concluding that my health may not get much better I actually put plans into place ONLY if things got worse. They didnt, well NOT exactly...

I do have a huge collection of pills and even had a retired doc who would assist.

It is rather important to have an assistant. The pills start coming out with natural stomach activity, it gets to be a mess so it is rather important to get the job done correctly that you have a knowledgeable assistant.

Would hate to end up in a coma or some worse condition.

So that was about 1.5 years ago and I am glad to be here... so lets all hope it stays that way (and my retired doc went ahead and passed-away).

fjp999 Wrote:I guess that I can only add what I know from experience.

Concluding that my health may not get much better I actually put plans into place ONLY if things got worse. They didnt, well NOT exactly...

I do have a huge collection of pills and even had a retired doc who would assist.

It is rather important to have an assistant. The pills start coming out with natural stomach activity, it gets to be a mess so it is rather important to get the job done correctly that you have a knowledgeable assistant.

Would hate to end up in a coma or some worse condition.

So that was about 1.5 years ago and I am glad to be here... so lets all hope it stays that way (and my retired doc went ahead and passed-away).

Bighug

Star Twister Wrote:Bighug

thanks my friend... really love the hugs
Knuddel

Then you can have one from me too xx

Bighug.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

fjp999 Wrote:thanks my friend... really love the hugs
Knuddel

And from me... Confusedmile:
*BighugBighugBighugBighug*