Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euthanasia
XRIMO Wrote:Next, we have a notion that we can kill other creatures because we are the strongest and smartest. Dogs, cats and many other animals are euthanized, but they have just as much right to life as we do. They are living creatures, but somehow our intellect puts us a cut above them to decide their fate, but we put our fate in some non-existant entity... it doesn't make sense. And even worse yet, we hunt simply for the sport of it. We are the only creatures that do this...

Ahmen to that! Luxhello

Frankly, I think it should be a most basic statuory right whereby any person who has reached an insufferable stage is able to legally kill themself with the assistance of another person, assuming that said person is capable of fully informed consent and is of a sound state of mind.

However, there is an argument that some, such as the elderly and infirm, may feel compelled out of guilt from feeling that they are becoming a burden on their family/carers, so it's not necessarily an entirely pretty picture.

That considered, though, I do feel that it should still be a basic right of a person to end their life of their own accord and assisted where necessary.

Ky xx

Incidentally, although the question of my having been entirely of sound mind at the time is debatable, when a snowballing of situations led to my waking in I.C.U. a year or so ago, there was a significant risk that I would show to have experienced some signifcant organ damage, particularly regarding the liver.

The prognosis on that was bleak, and I had a friend obtain a small bottle of morphine and a hypodermic to be kept closeby, as I had made the decision that if it were confirmed to be the case, a slow and cripplingly painful death from liver/multi-organ failure would not be how I would choose to go.

Clearly, I was fortunate in that case, but if for whatever reason I were to be in that situation again, I've no doubts that I'd prefer to have that choice again rather than to waste away slowly and painfully.

(There ya go, my objective argument first and now personal experience, both sides of the coin.)

Ky xx

To me people have the right to die as they see fit, so if someone is in a situation where they truely do wish to end their life and are incapable of doing so then doctors should be able to assist them. Obviously there should be very strict rules and guidelines governing such practices and every attempt should be made to help the person in other ways, but if someone is terminally ill and faces a painful death then it's hardly objectionable for a doctor to assist them in ending their life in a less traumatic manner.

I personally think we should kill the old and the weak, whether they like it or not.

Australia Wrote:I personally think we should kill the old and the weak, whether they like it or not.

Yer middle name aint compassion by any chance ? Roflmao

Australia Wrote:I personally think we should kill the old and the weak, whether they like it or not.
I really do hope that you're just joking.

Ralwatt Wrote:I really do hope that you're just joking.
Yeah. But my real view on this issue probably wouldn't be any less offensive to most people here. I'm actually a compassionate person, but people probably wouldnt agree if I spoke honestly.

Australia Wrote:Yeah. But my real view on this issue probably wouldn't be any less offensive to most people here. I'm actually a compassionate person, but people probably wouldnt agree if I spoke honestly.
Well, you can still voice your opinion, even if others won't agree. But it's up to you.

I'm curious now. :o

Keeping people alive after mother nature has passed them the death card is both a miserable experience for those that are dying and for those that love them. I'm young, but already I've had to watch many die, from sickness and old age. Having to visit them once a week for a year while they slowly start the process of dying while still breathing is a horrible experience. I find it hard to remember them how I knew them when they were happy and alive. Instead when I think of them all I can see is their long protracted deaths. So I dont think about them no more.

If someone is going to pass away, and its going to be a long painful death, I think it should be just like the dogs, put them to sleep.