Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experience of the snow... worst in 20 years
Hi there,
Whats the snow like where you are and how is it affecting your daily life??? If you got a story to report on post it here be interesting to find out so ill start...

Last night i left leicester at 18.00 and began my usual 2.5 hour journey back to Brighton... I found the M1 a bit hectic but just snow flurries were slowing us down within 20 miles... Yet i still had another 165 miles to go till i was home.. Having my boyfriends sister in the car added extra mileage ontop as i had to take her to his other sisters house in Newhaven as she was moving to brighton with us.. As i approached the M25 i saw signs reading "SLOW SKID RISK SNOW" I Thought to myself yeah right havent seen much sod this so i dropped the needle from 70 MPH to 50 MPH and sat in the outside lane until the M25..
Once on the M25 the sky was clear and starry so i picked up the pace with 70 MPH taking effect immediately.. Id already taken an hour and twenty minutes into a hour and ten minutes so i was running behind by ten minutes.. Glancing at the clock on my dashboard it read 19.20 and i had to get to brighton for 22.00 latest.. Just as i passed the sign reading GATWICK 56 miles i thought excellent not far to my next checkpoint.. I had gone no more than a mile and once again i was down to 20 MPH... I was like god whats going on.. So i decided to be a typical ignorant southerner and go to the outside lane and speed upto 30 MPH which i was pressing onwards for another five miles and the snow began to thicken.. I could still see some distance ahead UNTIL we came to a stand still.. Crawling along at 10 MPH and dying for a wee i was wishing id gone clockwise round the M25 and paid the £1 fare to cross the tunnel and have the joy of 2 service stations but No as per usual anti clockwise was the way.. I counted 16 cars out for the count on the hard shoulder as we journey on round london.. One car had completely skidded round and then came the vitial crunch to our journey... With very little distance covered and still another 32 Miles to Gatwick i was stranded..
Stranded with a car full of clothes, CD's, quilts and whatnot else with three people in it and a plant called George i sat and waited... and waited... and waited.. UNTIL id had enough. It was time to freeze no more time to feel horrible for not leaving earlier so i decided to get out the car grab the biggest ball of snow i could get into my hand and throw it at me bf and his sister in the back... Like a bunch of girls they screamed and he wound down his window grabbed snow from the car and got me back whilst i was driving.. All down me pissing back and it was freezing but i ended up giggling like a girl.. For the next two hours of strandedness on the M25 we endured hell biting temperatures, the car was over heating and sliding along almost taking out two cars through the ditches and the time of boredom was kept at bay with the snow..
At 23.00 i finally got onto the M23 to head into brighton. 33 miles to brighton was all that was left and not alot of snow was laying to i picked up the speed and away i went.. Well until i got the peasepottage and then had to stop as i needed a WC break.. Now i dont know if any other motorists notice this but do u tend to find you need a wee URGENTLY when you pull into the service station?? With this on my mind i turned into the lorry park and span round on the spot... Thus not helping me as i was shouting come on you fucking car im gonna piss myself and ive got to park first!!!! As i got out the car i went to run to the service station and slipped on me arse which really pissed me off as me bf and his sister stood giggling and he then threw snow at me before i could throw back..
After wiping myself down and walking in covered in wet mushy grey snow i had me WC break before decending onto the road again... All went well until of course burgess hill where i had to slow right down... Unable to see ahead I stuck my full beams on, hazard lights, rear fog lights and anything else i could. I had a trail of 15 cars behind me probably thinking look at that wanker going all over the road... Well i was trying to avoid the trees and remember where the road turned lol.. I was tired and being hypmotised by the snow effect coming to the screen and going over the car.. Slowly and surely with a bit of TLC and humour i got me little peugeot through the snow whilst wheel spinning up hill... I felt really clastrophobic at one stage but had to keep pressing on and rolled through the gates of BRIGHTON dead on 00.00..
Heading along the A27 to lewes was fine no problems there until i turned into KINGSTON exit from the roundabout... Then the narrow country lane id NEVER gone up before covered in snow was bouncing me car around like no tomorrow no snowplough no grit no nothing just a white blanket on the road.. The further i went the thicker and harder it got until i hit trees then i could see the road again and get my speed up a little.. Fifteen minutes it took to find my way to newhaven and his sister had to live at the top of a big friggin hill so i said to my boyfriend... Time to shake the car about.. He asked what i ment and i just said dont panic relax and enjoy which i then got half way up the hill before skidding so swinging the wheel one way and then the other way and back again the other way and so on i managed to zig zag my way up this hill...
On the way into brighton after dropping her off at 01.12 i had a car come spinning out of Lewes Crescent in Kemptown onto Marine parade and nearly take me out... If id been five seconds longer it would have got me.. I was disgusted when i got into BRIGHTON though because the council had negelected the roads... I eventually got home at 01.40 and had to get up today at 08.00 to begin more fun.. VETS and NO smoking clinic.. Getting the dogs to the vets wasnt too bad however getting to the smoking clinic was a bit more difficult.. Id got offically stuck in the snow when trying to get up the back entrance as it was pure ice.. Id tried every route and eventually got in and out of the smoking clinic and trying to get out of this pokey place set in the valley was harder than id imagened.. My little car was going no where.. I was sliding back down the hill and a van was parked there... I slipped and slided till i hit the kerb just infront of the van and christ did my heart jump.. Four lads came and gave me a push and got me going but i got stuck again and had to be put back in my original place.. My tires were now just spinning... A local resident came out and gave some sand to clear the road which really helped.. I was free and as i drove off papping me horn i was well appy and away until it came to getting up my own hill... Bit more of the slippy slidey action but nothing i couldnt handle... Kids threw snow at me car as i drove by but my instincts were to go absolutely APE SHIT as i am very protective of my car but i had to remind myself it was all in good spirits and it is snow afterall...

Well getting home after that 2 hour journey to and from town i was pleased to be home and in the warmth once again......

And if its like this tomorrow brighton will be minus one traffic warden as last time i worked in the snow i was the target of fun which i didnt see the fun side of..

Kindest regards

Home and safe ZEON xx

I'm glad I haven't got to go out today. I'm happy enough looking at the snow through the window. :biggrin:

ive just tried to call work to find out bout tomorrow no ones there lol

I'm in Canterbury and due to fly back to work (Via Gatwick) in Taba, Egypt tomorrow.

Just found out the trains and buses are out of service. The only way for me to get to Gatwick is Taxi - which is gonna cost £120! And guess what...my company won't pay for it. So...i'm foooooked.

The taxi guy also said..."Bear in mind that if the weather gets worse - which it's predicted to do - we may not be able to take you"

So...don't really know what to do. There is only one flight day a week into Taba and if i miss this, it would be a nightmare.

The snow just ssems to be getting heavier...damn, damn, damn.

C x x x

Well here in Fredericton, the snow banks are twice as tall as I am. Driving is scary since you have to edge your car out until you can see no one coming since the banks block your view of the road.

This is the most snow I've seen in New Brunswick since I moved here. It feels like being back in the Rockies where this was normal.

This weather is set to get worse in the south east... I was talking with my friend last night and he told me that not only is the snow coming from russia in the north but in the south we have got it from mainland europe... I know if its like this tomorrow i will call work to notify them i wont be attending due to health and safety reasons in getting into work..

One advantage of living in The Fens is that snow rarely settles and when it does it doesn't seem to last long. I'm pleased I was only working about three miles away today, although I had a car loaded with recording equipment and instruments to carry in and out of the workshop venue.

Tomorrow it'll be about 45 miles each way ...

Fantastic, love the snow just a bit pissed that i had to work and couldn't see it.

Hi,
I am hoping that the snow either coimes down heavy as fuck over night or the rain does.. I am a bit worried about how im gonna get to hove to drop my bf at work and get myself to brighton to the office in the space of 1 hour... I am hoping however that it is relitively alright and me car can go go go lol

Its just gonna be sleet tomorrow, I couldn't count on it snowing.
Icy roads unfortunately.