Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiment in my Tropical Fish Tank.
Marc Wrote:Actually I haven't had a single problem in the 2 years it's been running... but I am very patient, and only add a maximum 2 fish and coral a month.

People get problems when they rush, take your time and it's heaven Smile

I have around 20 fish in there... they are camera shy though Sad

Yeah I have been going through the same process, started in early September and upto 10 fish and 3 coral. Nothing has been added for about a month now and nothing will be added until I get this colouration problem sorted. It isn't affecting anything else IE PH, ammonia, nitries, phosphorus etc, as they are all sitting pretty on 0 so the tank is balanced, but because it is a small tank, the water gets tired quick.
I'm patient as well because I like to do things right, and my local aquariast has been in the game for over 50 years so I have been getting a lot of solid advice and having the odd good yarn and bouncing ideas around.

Cb32Cd Wrote:You have mostly community fish (tetras, guppies and such), right? That's cool- I used to have that (same size 220Lt). How did you fit 47 fish in? we have 7 + a frog and it seems like we're full.

Tropical, or Amazonian community mostly. Having decent plants gives the illusion of a larger tank, plus the fishies can hide from each other when they want some peace. Not too many more that I would like to squeeze in so it looks like I am going to have to start a new aquarium...DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! :-) lol.

I can tell you it is one of the most relaxing ventures I have undertaken, I have a couch right next to the tank and I often fall asleep watching the little games they play.

dfiant Wrote:Yeah I have been going through the same process, started in early September and upto 10 fish and 3 coral. Nothing has been added for about a month now and nothing will be added until I get this colouration problem sorted. It isn't affecting anything else IE PH, ammonia, nitries, phosphorus etc, as they are all sitting pretty on 0 so the tank is balanced, but because it is a small tank, the water gets tired quick.
I'm patient as well because I like to do things right, and my local aquariast has been in the game for over 50 years so I have been getting a lot of solid advice and having the odd good yarn and bouncing ideas around.

Have you got a skimmer on the tank? That is usually enough to keep the water crystal.

What about water changes? I do 15% a fortnight, plus the RO top up for evaporation.

I find the more simple the set up the better the results my self.. I use live rock as the filter... lots of water movement, and a skimmer.. and my tank runs great.

No skimmer, a filter that cycles the water 12 times an hour and a wave maker to stir the top.

I do weekly 10% water changes, but am going to go a bit heavier on that the next couple of weeks.

RO tops up as well as evaporation is a huge issue here.

I'm impressed Daz! Keep up the work, it looks like such a fulfilling project you've got going there. Thumbgrin

Bookworm Wrote:I'm impressed Daz! Keep up the work, it looks like such a fulfilling project you've got going there. Thumbgrin

10% a week should be more than enough... do you have live rock in your tank?

I would say it's the filter giving you stained water.
I think if you put a skimmer on the tank, you will be surprised at the amount of gunk it pulls out from the water, which in turn help's to clear the colour from the water.

Please don't think I'm talking down to you in any way.. I'm just passing on my experiance's...

I did have aload of fish living with my turtles, but they got old and passed away, the problem i have now i getting ahold of fish big enough for the turtles not to eat, cant get guppies, because they are chocolate to my turtles, i wanted to get some bala sharks because they are peaceful showling fish, would love to get some angels, but the bigger they are the more money they cost, for angels big enough for my turtles to leave alone they would be £30 a fish to get them ¬.¬ otherwise they are too small

I have 1 live rock that I started from nothing. I am also experimenting with a biofilter and that seems to be doing wonders right now, probably cleared about 90% of the discolouration.

I have decided to add no more to this tank as I am convinced a majority of the problems are due to the size of the tank. It's only 25 gal (100Lt) and I literally have no room to add any more rock than I already have and my mushroom is growing to big.

Dfiant i think your hobby makes you so cute- the passionate side to the snippy and stone cold infamous site icon. lol