Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External USB HDD's ...
Does anybody have an external large-capacity (ideally 1TB) Hard Drive that they use on a regular basis ?

If so, could they tell me what make it is, and how reliable they find it ? I've been burnt in the past with external HDD's - I bought what I thought was a really cool one - it was basically a chassis into which you connected an internal HDD and then re-connected the chassis via USB back to your PC so that the old internal HDD would be identified as an external HDD ... great for porting data from an old PC to a new one for example ...

... until the piggin' chassis blew the HDD I connected to it !! So all my old data was lost ...

Cry.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I use Iomega 500Gb for similar purpose - to bridge the data between my laptop, PC at work and two PCs at home... but, suggest, it is not the case you have mentioned. It's like a solid cooled box with an HDD fixed inside firmly, so you can not just screw it out and replace. The box can be connected to any PC/laptop via FireWire or USB... as an extension you can use SATA outlet.
So, this device works 15 hrs a day, 6 days a week and does not give any troubles at all.
Did you find out whether is the data lost finally and couldn't be recovered from there? Usually it's possible! )

Hell, I just learned something. I didnt think there were single disk 1TB HD out there but there are... even 2TB out there...

Seems that everyone has their fav brand. I have multiple brands and never had any problems with any of them. If you can get your computer built with usb and firewire you will be happy with the firewire especially since you are doing gaming (&video?).

The latest I have read is the very best thing to do is get an old computer case and use that case to put your extra HDs in the case which will keep them well ventilated and give better power. If you really need an external just use that for basic transfers but keep your stuff safer in an old computer case.

I don't have anything like your size requirements (darling Rolleyes ), but for my music projects I record all my audio data to external hard drives. Just in case it helps, I have used a rack-mounted Glyph (Firewire) hard drive for a few years now with no problems and my Carillon portable hard drive (with USB and Firewire) gets bundled into a backpack for all kinds of journeys. It has survived dozens of flights and encounters with airport security.

BLESS YOU ALL for coming back to me with your bits 'n bobs ...

Lynx, unfortunately no - the data couldn't be retrieved - whatever the chassis did to the hard drive, it was VERY thorough ... Cry.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!