Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extreme OCD coming on
Arkansota Wrote:And people, even in the northernmost part of Arkansas, are as southern as pecan pie. But some people, such as Bowyn Aerrow, don't know this. And that drives me CRAZY.

Actually I did research on the state in December of last year. I thought I was going to move there. I thought wrong, and it didn't end well - let us leave it at that.

People FROM Arkansas from different parts of the state have mixed feelings about what or where it is in the social spectrum of American Society in the general region. Rural folk tend to be more southern comfort while the city folk tend to want to get away from the image of southern comfort.

It is a state divided in its own identity: http://www.city-data.com/forum/arkansas/...thern.html is one such forum I stumbled across while I was researching the habits and cultures of Arkansans.

People at that forum claim to have lived there and claim to come from different regions of the state and have differing opinions on it being southern or not.

I think part of the problem is a definition thing. Southern meaning what exactly? The attitude of the Old South, the Attitude of the New South, A geographical location?

I'm sorry you are spun out on this question. But I am not going to lie to you to make you feel better. A lie is not going to help you with the basic issues of the OCD or the why you are ocd'ing over what is (as you said) a silly question.

The wisest and most efficient solution to this problem would be to see a therapist who specializes in obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). There are very targeted treatments that deal specifically with OCD, primarily, exposure and response prevention therapy.

Source: http://psychcentral.com/ask-the-therapis...y-and-ocd/

Your trying to make everyone tell you something you want to hear is manipulative and self serving. People have differing opinions and differing facts that they work with. You are going to have to learn how to accept that. You can't make everyone agree with you all the time in every subject that will disturb you or cause you anxiety.

Besides which, that doesn't break the chain and it definitely will not do anything to reduce, lessen the OCD. This is avoidance behavior and avoiding that which brings this out with you is the wrong way to to go.

You need to find a therapist to work with and face these sorts of things in a controlled environment. http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/f..._hmocd.pdf lays it all out.

I'm not being mean, sarcastic, or bullying you or something along those lines. I am telling you as it is and trying to push you to do this 'solution' the right way.

I know what it is like to obsess over the stupid things and get all in a panic over what other people think is silly... So I empathize with you dearly on this OCD Anxiety thing.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Actually I did research on the state in December of last year. I thought I was going to move there. I thought wrong, and it didn't end well - let us leave it at that.

People FROM Arkansas from different parts of the state have mixed feelings about what or where it is in the social spectrum of American Society in the general region. Rural folk tend to be more southern comfort while the city folk tend to want to get away from the image of southern comfort.

It is a state divided in its own identity: http://www.city-data.com/forum/arkansas/...thern.html is one such forum I stumbled across while I was researching the habits and cultures of Arkansans.

People at that forum claim to have lived there and claim to come from different regions of the state and have differing opinions on it being southern or not.

I think part of the problem is a definition thing. Southern meaning what exactly? The attitude of the Old South, the Attitude of the New South, A geographical location?

I'm sorry you are spun out on this question. But I am not going to lie to you to make you feel better. A lie is not going to help you with the basic issues of the OCD or the why you are ocd'ing over what is (as you said) a silly question.

The wisest and most efficient solution to this problem would be to see a therapist who specializes in obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). There are very targeted treatments that deal specifically with OCD, primarily, exposure and response prevention therapy.

Source: http://psychcentral.com/ask-the-therapis...y-and-ocd/

Your trying to make everyone tell you something you want to hear is manipulative and self serving. People have differing opinions and differing facts that they work with. You are going to have to learn how to accept that. You can't make everyone agree with you all the time in every subject that will disturb you or cause you anxiety.

Besides which, that doesn't break the chain and it definitely will not do anything to reduce, lessen the OCD. This is avoidance behavior and avoiding that which brings this out with you is the wrong way to to go.

You need to find a therapist to work with and face these sorts of things in a controlled environment. http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/f..._hmocd.pdf lays it all out.

I'm not being mean, sarcastic, or bullying you or something along those lines. I am telling you as it is and trying to push you to do this 'solution' the right way.

I know what it is like to obsess over the stupid things and get all in a panic over what other people think is silly... So I empathize with you dearly on this OCD Anxiety thing.

Just saying, all southern urban areas want to get away from the "southern comfort" image except New Orleans... And I've been to CityData as well. And pretty much everyone there thinks Arkansas is in the South. I've been to Arkansas. ALL OF THEM HAVE SOUTHERN ACCENTS UNLESS THEY ARE FROM URBAN AREAS... Which is normal in the south. So I'm going to have to very strongly disagree with your opinion. But thanks for your advice on the OCD stuff Smile

From the board you cited-

"arkansas is southern, without a doubt."
"Have you been to Arkansas? It is very southern."
"Most of Arkansas is textbook southern"
"Northwest Arkansas natives are southern"
"Mike, you really must PM me before your next visit through the river valley....I just think we need to show these folks just how Southern we can be!"

That's just the first 2 pages.

BTW, I am going to live in the River Valley, which is a very southern area.

I have been to Arkansas 5 times, like I said. I can safely say that it's in the South. I know that. But my OCD is about what other people think.

^^^ Selective Data mining? More avoidance behavior, you are avoiding the contradiction, attempting to ignore those who say 'No it ain't all southern'.

I think Arkansas is a state where several "regions" blend. I would say that the lower half, especially the Southeastern corner has a definite southern feel; the upper half, especially the Northwest corner is more midwestern in feel; and the Southwestern corner has wafts of both southern and southwestern.
-- brucep

The Northwest Corner of the state is not as “southern” as the rest of the state in terms of population or deep rooted southern culture.
-- boulder

Yep, Northwest Arkansas feels more like Missouri/Oklahoman to me, But once you start heading down towards the river valley and Mena, the southern hits you pretty quick.
-- DFWMike

geographically Arkansas is a southern state. Like Va and maybe a few other states, it you go to the northern most parts of the state is will appear to ba something other than southern.
-- nmnita

Same site. Page one - I'm not going to go through every page... That was your 'homework assignment'. Wink

My point to take you to that site was to show you that different people have differing opinions on the subject.

I do not want to play this game where you 'prove' that Arkansas is Southern and I am forced to 'prove' that its not. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn if Arkansas is Northern, Southern, Midwest, Pacific or Hell.

Acceptance of things we cannot change is a difficult task even for 'normal' people. I wish I had the magic combination of words to hand you that brings about that serenity of accepting things you cannot change. Thus far I have been unable to find them.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:^^^ Selective Data mining? More avoidance behavior, you are avoiding the contradiction, attempting to ignore those who say 'No it ain't all southern'.

I think Arkansas is a state where several "regions" blend. I would say that the lower half, especially the Southeastern corner has a definite southern feel; the upper half, especially the Northwest corner is more midwestern in feel; and the Southwestern corner has wafts of both southern and southwestern.
-- brucep

The Northwest Corner of the state is not as “southern” as the rest of the state in terms of population or deep rooted southern culture.
-- boulder

Yep, Northwest Arkansas feels more like Missouri/Oklahoman to me, But once you start heading down towards the river valley and Mena, the southern hits you pretty quick.
-- DFWMike

geographically Arkansas is a southern state. Like Va and maybe a few other states, it you go to the northern most parts of the state is will appear to ba something other than southern.
-- nmnita

Same site. Page one - I'm not going to go through every page... That was your 'homework assignment'. Wink

My point to take you to that site was to show you that different people have differing opinions on the subject.

I do not want to play this game where you 'prove' that Arkansas is Southern and I am forced to 'prove' that its not. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn if Arkansas is Northern, Southern, Midwest, Pacific or Hell.

Acceptance of things we cannot change is a difficult task even for 'normal' people. I wish I had the magic combination of words to hand you that brings about that serenity of accepting things you cannot change. Thus far I have been unable to find them.

3/4 of your sources confirmed my opinion that Arkansas is southern Tongue

The last 3 said that Arkansas is southern

Just let it go bud. You'll NEVER agree with everyone, don't let a silly thing like if Arkansas is southern or not get you silly.
Richard

Try consoling a long with your medication. Too much or too little is a problem. Perhaps a diffent medication could help you more. Continue to maintain your structure routine. Don't Sweat the small stuff, stay focused on your school, and your goals.