Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extreme OCD coming on
It's our kansas.

ardus Wrote:Southeastern Conference. It's the conference Arkansas football plays in.

Richard

Oh, I get it.

Maybe a bit off-topic, and not to be the bringer of bad news, but I really don't think Arkansas is the greatest place for young gay men. That's not to say there are none there (we're everywhere), but it's not a very liberal-minded place, and neither is the majority of the south. Minnesota is much more tolerant in general. I'm kind of baffled as to why you want to attend school there— it's not a big or particularly well-known college. Why did you pick it?

starbelly Wrote:Maybe a bit off-topic, and not to be the bringer of bad news, but I really don't think Arkansas is the greatest place for young gay men. That's not to say there are none there (we're everywhere), but it's not a very liberal-minded place, and neither is the majority of the south. Minnesota is much more tolerant in general. I'm kind of baffled as to why you want to attend school there— it's not a big or particularly well-known college. Why did you pick it?

The people there are understanding of my disability- And my sexuality

So I am stoked. I know homophobia exists in Arkansas but the men down there are so hot.

Arkansota Wrote:The people there are understanding of my disability- And my sexuality

So I am stoked. I know homophobia exists in Arkansas but the men down there are so hot.

More power to ya I guess. I feel mildly lucky having grown up and lived somewhere that was actually very gay-friendly as a whole. I have family in the south and know that it's not really like that there, at least in many places.

starbelly Wrote:More power to ya I guess. I feel mildly lucky having grown up and lived somewhere that was actually very gay-friendly as a whole. I have family in the south and know that it's not really like that there, at least in many places.

Yeah. But I figure that going someplace where there is homophobia is going to make me feel stronger as a person because it gives me a chance to build up a wall so that words won't affect me.

Miles Wrote:It's our kansas.

no, it's our can saw.

Arkansota Wrote:Yeah. But I figure that going someplace where there is homophobia is going to make me feel stronger as a person because it gives me a chance to build up a wall so that words won't affect me.

This isn't going to end well.Rolleyes

Arkansota Wrote:I have pretty bad OCD about a stupid topic-

Whether Arkansas is considered to be a Southern state or a Midwestern state.

OF COURSE IT IS!! ARKANSAS COULD NOT BE MORE SOUTHERN!! Only EXTREMELY ignorant people think it's in the Midwest. But my OCD is illogical so it keeps worrying about this. I really want to go to college in the South and I'm going to college in Arkansas, so I am having anxiety about this.

What do I do? I'm on medication that isn't gonna change. What are some strategies I can use?

1. Its actually neither or both, depending on how you look at it. The eastern have is more 'southern' in style as in hospitality, etc. And more like the plains states in its north and more southwest in its west.

So yeah, you are going to get different answers, depending on who you talk to. Personally, my experience with Arkansas is that it is hell.

2. Do you have a counselor/therapist? If so, what tools did she/he give you to work through the OCD Anxiety? IF any, are you working those tools?

If you don't have a therapist/counselor - I strongly suggest you get one. A therapist will help you figure out what brings on your OCD habits and will also customize tools to fit your particular OCD behaviors to help defuse them, help reduce and manage the anxiety that it gives you.

If you have a therapist/Counselor ask him/her how to manage the OCD better.

Oh man Am I going to get it.

I think asking for help outside of a professional environment is good. I think that it can give you a sense of power over the problem that can't be found from professional intervention.

When I was in ASAP, the Army Substsance Abuse Program, i found that the traditional model of recovery SUCKS.

It assumes you can never get better.

Why would you assume that?

Richard