Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook - Gay Blood Ban Debate.
I'm not trying to start a fight here. However, having read a few posts in the past about debates over the gay blood ban... It bought to mind a group which a friend of mines has started on Facebook. It is an issue both dear to both his and my heart Cry, any help in spreading the word about the group and getting others to join would be deeply appreciated as it has affected both of us on a personal level, as well as many others.

I happily gave blood in the past and those vampires were more than willing to accept it while I was still a virgin. Even after countless blood tests to prove I'm not infected, my blood still isn't good enough for them, and it's heartbreaking listening to the ads about how desperately they need blood, then getting turned away simply because I got into a loving relationship with another man. :frown:

I'll stop waffling now and I'll post the link to the group, Please join and help show your support for this cause, the more help we can get the sooner we're likely to get this stupid rule overturned.

Science, Not Stigma

Here's a bit more information about the group:
"It has come to my attention in the past couple of hours that the Liberal Democrat Conference Committee has not selected the motion put forward by Cllr Chris Ward and Dij Bentley pertaining to the ban on gay men giving blood.

This group is purely to see how strong the support for this debate going ahead is and to mandate the party to have the debate should the calls for it be strong enough.

Lest we forget that every day people need blood transfusions and yet often can not get the blood that they need owing to a policy of stigma over science that harks back to Thatchers time.

I urge you all to join this group, regardless of sexual orientation and mandate the Liberal Democrats to have his debate!"

Thanks in advance guys (and gals), I'd/We'd really appreciate any support for this cause. Confusedmile:

Good call!! Thanks for posting this. Xyxthumbs

marshlander Wrote:Good call!! Thanks for posting this. Xyxthumbs

No problem Marshlander. The cause is very dear to my heart. Dij is my friend and he was not allowed to give blood to his mother (who was a very close family friend) during her illness purely based on the fact that he is gay. Which I don't think it's fair in the slightest, especially given the condition his mother was in at the time. Her health deteriorated very quickly and she passed a few days later :frown:.

So as I have said before, this cause is very dear to both our hearts and the more help we can get, the better it will be for everyone. Hopefully we can minimise the chances of something like this ever happening again, and in an ideal world stop it all together.

I have signed up. It is crazy that people who are prepared to declare they only have sex with women can get up to whatever the hell they like and the blood is accepted, but because my completely and mutually monogamous relationship of the past seven or eight years has been with a man I am tainted.

Let's have science not stigma.

Joined. I'll do my best to help spreading the word for it. Promise!

I wish you all the best with the campain, our blood is as good as any.

Ive joined up . I can't believe in the modern western world policies like this are allowed to get through . It reminds me of something out of Nazi Germany before the second world war . Makes me so angry . Blood is blood , no matter who it comes from , all blood should be checked and screened anyway before anyone recieves it .

simply ridiculous that they beg for blood through adds then refuse a gay mans donation even though it's thoroughly screened, only plus side i take from this is at least ignorant scociety still has room to evolve which will make for better acceptance gay men who follow us

Personally, I don't think that gays not being allowed to give blood is a bad thing. HIV is a terrible disease and gay men are statistically more likely to carry it. Those statistics are the reason why certain groups may not give blood. Many people are prohibited from giving blood and that is why they keep asking that those can give blood do.

I know I don't have a "popular" gay friendly view on this, but I really don't feel offended by these rules.

nick Wrote:I know I don't have a "popular" gay friendly view on this, but I really don't feel offended by these rules.

I'm not so much offended as incomprehending. Some activities attract a short term ban, sleeping with a prostitute or getting a tattoo (other "at risk" activities), but not a lifetime ban.

My boyfriend, many years ago, had to argue to give blood because while he is gay was, at the time, still a virgin. Obviously that carried zero risk from catching HIV from an infected partner. That is an example of ignorance and blind stupidity. And a ban like this foster such idiocy.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk