Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook - Gay Blood Ban Debate.
Im Gay, and the Red Cross in the US doesnt take my blood Sad

Sorry to hear that, the local red cross base it on activity,m so I guess you are active with more than one checkable partner
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

Interestingly enough, I cannot give blood to any civilian organization such as the red cross or any normal hospital, not because of my sexuality, but because of the amount of time I have spent in Iraq and Afghanistan, I am considered now to be high risk, even though I have no dieseases. It doesn't matter that much to me, even though before I deployed the first time I used to give blood all the time, if they don't want my blood, then they can't have it, fuck em.
Richard

"I'm not trying to start a fight here."

I'll be off then...:biggrin:

Personally I wouldn't give blood, I'm too skinny and have a fear of needles. But i think the ban is ridiculous. It is possible for straight guys to have an 'undetectable' SDI too... should defo be debated at parliament

My blood type is rare, n I have been asked to donate.... Anyhows, I have never tried to, I have been askedf to, but blood makes me dizzy. N, idk there was a ban...it sounds stupid, that's profiling. It is nt like all gays are HIV pos.

I have AB- blood the rarest blood type I gave blood for 10 years until this ban

I'm sure this has already been mentioned 10 times over, but the lack of equality in this idea is bewildering...

it seems run on the back of the old 80s idea that gay men are more sexually promiscuous and more likely to carry the HIV virus after various warnings; there was some very flawed and basic logic to this which seemed to hold sway with popular opinion.

Much like cannabis remaining illegal and wasting countless hours of police time and effort for a comparatively harmless substance, there is simply an old world opinion that 'THESE ARE BAD' (soft drugs, gay sex) ... be it sexual or narcotic, some things just have a negative perception. Gay lifestyle and promiscuity remains in this same camp in my skewed analogy.

Between my straight friends and gay, I would say that the heterosexual camp have shocked me more in terms of sexual behaviour and number of partners. As uninformed as I am on the statistics and numbers of HIV transmissions, I find it difficult to believe that there is no definitve screening process when compared to heterosexuals. Surely some underlying political/public issues here?