Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook re-defines gender
MisterTinkles Wrote:In other words........"male" or "female".
What ludicrousy.

Yes, male or female. As opposed to trans male or trans female. Because that exists.

What ludicrousy.

Gender identity has been long documented. They didn't replace male/female with anything else, they just gave people more choices for self identification - similar to how countries are not increasingly allowing people to change gender on their identification records. If you are not transgender your facebook account and life has not been impacted in anyway...

Let's talk about gender baby, let's talk about you and me

Not everyone is born male or female. Some are born both, for example, though it's often surgically "corrected" for better and worse ASAP.

'Facebook re defines gender' Oh really?

I thought it was defined a long time ago and now Facebook has finally caught up with the real world instead of living in the 'head up your arse nazi' type world where everything is black and white.

LONDONER Wrote:So, which one are you?

Male.

I'm not in the shoes of someone who'd prefer being classified as anything other than Male or Female, but I thinks it's nice of Facebook to make that option available for those who will utilize it.

I think 50 options is a bit excessive. I think that "male" "female" or "custom" would have been fine

I looked at the list of the different options and there were a few that were basically the same thing but having most of them made sense because it allowed you to be really specific or not too specific. I won't change my gender because I think male is good enough for me.

I really wish I heard the terms cisgendered more often because sometimes people are perhaps accidentally implying to be male you must be cisgendered male or to be female you must be cisgendered female which is not the case. Details details...

What ludicrousy.

Well, for one thing, intersex people exist. Some people actually are born with both female and male sexual parts. Some people call them "hermaphrodites" but intersex seems to be mostly preferred. I've never met a person I've known to be intersex, but I certainly know they exist. The science world knows they exist, the medical world knows they exist, and some legislators know they exist.
Now, I could refer you to this Wikipedia entry on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex
But in case you are one of those who don't trust Wikipedia, then, without further ado, in all its majesty, with the highest authority in all the land, I refer you to, the official, Encyclopedia Britannica:
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topi...rsexuality

Sometimes, when a baby is born that has intersexuality, the hospital has to bring in an "expert" to determine if they are going to label the newborn as a male or female. Some intersex people may resent this, for it should be obvious that only they should be able to determine what gender they are.

About time. Not everyone wants to be a Male or Female :I

Even if someone is Male and Female and wants to identify as something else, what's the problem people?

White people Tan to be come darker, right?

Black girls straighten their kinky knots, right?

Well some people just wanna be able to identify how they like, so I don't see the big issue, and there's always the option to shut the fuck up if it ain't about you.

Oh yeah; Androgynous here. there are eggs you can suck if you got a problem.

Hands-make-heart