Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook status'gay joke'
bryandurel Wrote:honestly speaking, that youtube stuff with the he-man videos and the brokeback mountain blurbs is actually pretty funny.

yeah, and I've laughed at it my own self...but so was the early cartoons depicting black tribesmen as total bafoons and vaudeville's use of black face for the laughs...

truly funny stuff ?

Reminds me of a mantra once popular: "BE the change you want to see."
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

It will be a very sad day when we cant laugh at ourselves and each other.
Having a joke at somebodies expense is fine, as long as it isn't made in malice.

Get a grip guys, a joke is a joke.

How can this be called a joke?

I laugh at gay jokes all the time, even a couple of mean ones before as they had a surprise twist in them, but this has no surprise, or anything funny, it's just immature. And it's also pointless unless you see being gay as a bad, shameful thing (and thus implying any who are gay should feel bad & ashamed), so yeah, it's also done in malice (if a possibly unthinking one).

Marc Wrote:It will be a very sad day when we cant laugh at ourselves and each other.
Having a joke at somebodies expense is fine, as long as it isn't made in malice.

Get a grip guys, a joke is a joke.

Point well made but not on target. We're not talking about laughing at self or another nor having a joke at someone's expense. I suppose what you are talking about is the very reason why I can still laugh at much of the genious that is comedy; however, what I see we're talking about is covert prejudicial discrimination of culture that lends itself to comedic value at the same time it undermines any effort to overcome the insidious hate it is used to perpetuate.

Pix Wrote:How can this be called a joke?

I laugh at gay jokes all the time, even a couple of mean ones before as they had a surprise twist in them, but this has no surprise, or anything funny, it's just immature. And it's also pointless unless you see being gay as a bad, shameful thing (and thus implying any who are gay should feel bad & ashamed), so yeah, it's also done in malice (if a possibly unthinking one).

u ma boo pix Remybussi
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Oh my god!

Get a grip.

I don't like the word "Gay."
"Homosexual" is a much better term.

Frog while I agree with writerken and corsac in this example likely best being left alone with the humor being allowed solely for its comedic value within a small social context, I would point out "hacking" someone's privacy on their own public Facebook, while possibly common, is still the offense that it is and is not contained within that safe social context. I would further assert that while I may not have sufficient grip to have any valuable opinion for some posters, I'd like to think that more and more gay people will indeed begin to take a stand somewhere...even if it is only to come here to GS and inquire of how one might consider going about asking professional FRIENDS to simply consider some cultural sensitivity and respect despite the humor. And I pray to OUR God that such a pursuit finds more value in the hearts of GS forum members than immature and lame humor with only passive malicious intent. Get a grip indeed and don't consider me a troll as my only desire here is to be a help and encouragement, not an entertainer or consumer of entertainment.

Pix Wrote:I once enjoyed talking about Disney characters with a handful of people online (I was there maybe 2 weeks) and it somehow got onto Bridge to Terabithia and their inevitable romance had the girl survived. I mentioned the problems of childhood and that if they got together too soon (which they likely would) then one was likely to seriously hurt the other and it could destroy their relationship, and even if they didn't most people grow apart as they grow up (even those early marriages are often called "practice" by the older & cynical for a better marriage later on). That got them to wondering how they could overcome the pitfalls of childhood & immaturity and I'd posted best case scenerio (even if the boy's dad didn't care for it) is that they're both gay, that would probably maximize their chances of being best friends forever. And it was deleted and I got a warning for "trolling." And that reminded me of how many people (unlike me) see being gay as a "bad thing." I never told them that I was gay myself, I just left without a word and years later I still haven't even visited that board even once, because if being gay is so horrible then that meant I'm horrible. (ETA: this board was nearly all adults, the only exception I know of being a high schooler, and was also a few months after BtT came out in 2007, many of them parents upset over the girl dying followed by their kids crying, so it wasn't like I was on a board for kids, and in the warning I got from the site manager there was no "think of the children" message to go along with it.)

I just remembered!

A few days before I got my warning for my so-called trolling I saw that another poster had posted a pic (supposedly to complain about it when he was just making sure more saw it) from a Disney movie showing camel toe on a little girl (don't ask, it's not important and the actress might feel awkward about it today). I was sure it was fake as I'd seen the movie multiple times and never saw it (though to be fair, next time I saw it the camel toe really was there, it's just never occurred to me before to look at her crotch!). I was convinced that he was a troll who photoshopped it but even though I saw people say the pic was inappropriate it was not deleted as mine was. :o

Perhaps I should've asked about that before I left...didn't occur to me then as I resolved to never look at the thread again and I was so surprised when I got my musing deleted with a warning and just put the whole thing out of my mind until now...

If I got offended at every gay, halfbreed, Indian and, Flathead joke, I'd never stop being offended. I find most of them funny. I don't see the big deal other than the FB account was hacked.

Gay Jokes...one story from one page of one day of my life....:biggrin:

OK...I sell at trade shows often next to two very redneck people...they are a straight couple. I KNOW they like both me and my lover and vice versa...we like them alot.

So one day after knowing them both for many years he pulls me aside to tell me a slew of "gay jokes" with the qualification that he doesn't mean to offend me :biggrin:

...ACK...Here's the thing with me. I do not know how I am going to react...I don't hold back when I have something to say even if it costs me so I am thinking at any moment I would explode...but something about his tone and body language kept me quiet...

...and I was so glad I did because right after the gay jokes came the redneck jokes...he is a redneck and proud of it....

In order to get my point here you have to read between the lines :biggrin:

You can come to your own conclusions of course but for me...he taught me something very important that day. I am grateful to him.