Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failure to protect
For years, various organizations have attempted to have “Tolerance” taught as part of the school curriculum in America. These attempts to teach tolerance in our public schools have always been met with protest from our conservative Christian organizations. These Christian organizations believe the schools are being forced to teach their children that homosexuality is acceptable, which is contrary to their religious beliefs.

At the heart of the problem - is the belief that homosexuality is a learned behavior and not a trait one is born with. They cannot accept the "Born Gay" hypothesis, as that would mean that God created the homosexual trait which would be in direct contradiction to their interpretation of certain bible verses. One must remember, all interpretations of the bible were directly guided by gods hand and therefore cannot be wrong.

Therefore, Christians are compelled to believe that homosexuality is a learned behavior and any attempt to teach acceptance of homosexuality would lead to their children becoming gay, lesbian, or bisexual. Teaching tolerance of homosexuals equates to sending their children straight into the arms of Satan.

I believe that many Christians choose to conceal their bigotry by hiding behind misinterpreted bible verses, but that is just my opinion.

Wow Jim... you are on a roll! Well said! What you said about the Westboro Baptist Church! I do share a similar to opinion to you.

Anyway, I misread this as "Failure to project." So yeah, I find it incredibly heartbreaking that these very young men died and it shouldn't have happened. They were the future and unfortunately we will never know what they could have accomplished.

[QUOTE=. Unfortunately, being meek and mild and gentle and kind, isn't always met with respect...[/QUOTE]

they actually fear us for this in my opinion. they fear what they don't know.

Thanks Jim, you have raised another issue, religious fanatics. Another failure, the wall of silence and apathy of the people. These men who are leaders of churches are allowed to dictate their views on the people and use God and the bible to spread hate throughout the world with immunity from the law. They hide behind the freedom of religion granted to them by the state and its people.

Its now time for the people to act and make these church leaders understand we will not allow them to use and abuse their right to religious freedom to continue this crimmal act.

jimcrackcorn Wrote:For years, various organizations have attempted to have “Tolerance” taught as part of the school curriculum in America. These attempts to teach tolerance in our public schools have always been met with protest from our conservative Christian organizations. These Christian organizations believe the schools are being forced to teach their children that homosexuality is acceptable, which is contrary to their religious beliefs.

At the heart of the problem - is the belief that homosexuality is a learned behavior and not a trait one is born with. They cannot accept the "Born Gay" hypothesis, as that would mean that God created the homosexual trait which would be in direct contradiction to their interpretation of certain bible verses. One must remember, all interpretations of the bible were directly guided by gods hand and therefore cannot be wrong.

Therefore, Christians are compelled to believe that homosexuality is a learned behavior and any attempt to teach acceptance of homosexuality would lead to their children becoming gay, lesbian, or bisexual. Teaching tolerance of homosexuals equates to sending their children straight into the arms of Satan.

I believe that many Christians choose to conceal their bigotry by hiding behind misinterpreted bible verses, but that is just my opinion.
But such thinking is so flawed... If God is capable of creating everything in the universe and anything, and for instance different races, and different animals and different ways of reproduction, or even the slimiest, strangest fish or insects, why wouldn't he also have created this strange object that only likes, or loves its own gender??? Why are snails hermaphrodites, capable of breeding eachother???

There are some hope over the bad news, the death of these teenagers are raising concerns in the US about the safety of gay teenagers. I read CNN almost everyday and I notice that gay news appear much more frequently now. It gets better.

Sadly news stories have very often a short interest span, come next week a different story will hit the frontpage. This time the world is interested in these sad events. Here in the UK, on Radio 2 again, Tyler Clementi death was discussed on air. Public awareness and the knowledge that the world is watching may force some action from the federal government. Probably a lot of words will be said with empty promises as usual from politicans.

princealbertofb Wrote:But such thinking is so flawed... If God is capable of creating everything in the universe and anything, and for instance different races, and different animals and different ways of reproduction, or even the slimiest, strangest fish or insects, why wouldn't he also have created this strange object that only likes, or loves its own gender??? Why are snails hermaphrodites, capable of breeding eachother???

Indeed, it is flawed thinking. Homosexuality occurs in nature quite often, yet Christians are still compelled to believe what the Bible tells them regardless of what happens in nature.

I have to keep in mind that the Bible was written at a time when science was not nearly as advanced as it is today. Unfortunately, old religions become flawed because they are incapable of keeping up with our evolving science and human understanding, they are stuck in the past.

Christianity is partially at fault for these recent suicides because they perpetuate the atmosphere of hatred, bigotry & disdain of gays & lesbians. They preach how homosexuality is an abomination, a sin, evil, unhealthy, and unnatural. This reinforces the already existing intolerance and general discomfort people feel regarding gays & lesbians.

On a personal note, I was a devout Christian during my teenage formative years. During these years, I realized that I was attracted to the same sex, which contradicted my Christian beliefs. This brought about a great deal of anguish with many prayers for God to change the way I felt. The prayer was never answered,,,, so I accepted that I was gay and that this God that I had been earnestly praying to "Did Not Exist". The anguish ceased and I finally realized I could live a happy & healthy life without praying to my imaginary friend or following a 2000 year old outdated religion.

This is my personal view of religion and is not intended to be a slap-in-the-face to the many good Christians who practice their faith in a tolerant and loving manner.

jimcrackcorn Wrote:... On a personal note, I was a devout Christian during my teenage formative years. During these years, I realized that I was attracted to the same sex, which contradicted my Christian beliefs. This brought about a great deal of anguish with many prayers for God to change the way I felt. The prayer was never answered,,,, so I accepted that I was gay and that this God that I had been earnestly praying to "Did Not Exist". The anguish ceased and I finally realized I could live a happy & healthy life without praying to my imaginary friend or following a 2000 year old outdated religion.

This is my personal view of religion and is not intended to be a slap-in-the-face to the many good Christians who practice their faith in a tolerant and loving manner.
I can relate to this ... although I may not be as nice as you in the "slap-in-the-face" department Rolleyes Some people seem to need a good shake!

marshlander Wrote:I can relate to this ... although I may not be as nice as you in the "slap-in-the-face" department Rolleyes Some people seem to need a good shake!

I whole heartedly agree with you marshlander, but I have a soft spot for a couple of these religious groups.

The Metropolitan Community Church & Unitarian Universalist Church welcome LGBT people with open arms. Evidently these two churches interpret the bible a bit differently than others. I wouldn't want to lump them in with those who don't accept us as we are.

We can shake those hardliners until their heads disconnect and bounce on the ground and it wouldn't change their minds. They're a stubborn lot who relish the idea of being persecuted for their beliefs. They are already screaming "religious persecution" because the LGBT community seeks equality - they believe this will prevent them from spewing their venom from those tax free pompous pulpits they hide behind.

I've somewhat gravitated off topic and am starting to rant. My apologies.