Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall From Grace; Movie of Netflix
Okay everybody. I know that Fred Phelps and his church West borough Baptist church is a controversial subject. As a Kansan who sees these idiots on occasion as they protest soldiers funerals etc. , my heart gets filled with rage. But as a faithful American, i look at what this group of nut jobs and groups like this preach, and their use of freedom of speach. As much as I cannot stand these disgusting life support systems of hatred, i can recognize and understand their right to freedom of speech. I know that a lot of people dont take this stance, especially in the LGBT community, but i believe they shouldnt be silenced. I know this will upset people on here, but understand i do not in any way shape or form support this group ( i condemn them), but if we were to make an exception to silence one group, now any group would be subject to being silenced. I dunno, I watched this documentary called, Fall From Grace, on netflix and it is very intense, but very worth watching. So I was just curious what you all think. Again, please understand that Fred Phelps makes me sick and so do all of his followers, but I just thought i would share an opinion, and im interested in hearing yours. Please keep this clean everybody, cause I love you all Smile

PS, I would love to protest his protest, I know exactly how I would do it too lol, give that piece of crap a taste of his own medicine.

What's sad is that Westboro crashed gay funerals for years with no condemnation from the Christian community at all. It was only when they started crashing soldier funerals the same way and "thanking God for 9/11" (rather than the usual "we must stop the gays, liberals, and feminists before God zaps us again!") that Christendom rose up (proving they can when they WANT to) and said (along with the KKK), "They're not with us."

As for letting them speak...actually I agree, and it's not just the principle of free speech, but that they make other gay bashers look bad, and those other gay bashers get real defensive when compared to Westboro. Westboro, and how they present their message, are their own worst enemy, and they leave an impression of homophobes on a great many people who aren't committed to hating us and inspiring them to reject homophobia. It's many other groups that manage to come off as sane which worry me.

That said, I fully support those who make human shields between Westboro idiot-trolls and grieving mourners at funerals.

My understanding is that freedom of speech, says nothing about location of said speech.
You can say anything you like in your own home, a private meeting or within a group
However, the moment you try and push your views onto other people in a public setting or at a private event then it is no longer just speech your talking about.

If your protesting or trying to promote your views to other people then there should be other common decency guidelines that should be enforced.

*Note* I'm from Australia so my understanding of American rights might be a little off, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.