Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fallen Brothers
It is Memorial Day here in the states, a time to Honor our Fallen Brothers, a time to reflect and remember. There were 10 new names added to the Memorial Wall, ten more bodies brought back home. Over this weekend I made a point of shaking the hands of other vets from all wars, as well as educating the young people why it is a holiday. I wish every vet a welcome home and a hope that the memories are of the good our friends were, please do not dwell on their deathes. Hope everyone takes a moment to enjoy their freedom and remember those who protected it, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

While I commend your thoughts and the respect you show your vets, Jim (a noble pursuit), I wonder if your freedom isn't more in jeopardy than you think with the whacko politicians that seem to reign in your states... I don't think there's any vet there that fought on your own soil to guarantee those freedoms. They all seem to have been battles fought by groups in society. So my question is: what American freedoms did those vets actually fight for in foreign countries? Was America ever at risk of losing them in the first place? Methinks the real battle ground-s is / are not where it is / they are now but in your ballot boxes, people of America.

PS, this is not a criticism, just a genuine question.

James Wrote:It is Memorial Day here in the states, a time to Honor our Fallen Brothers. Hope everyone takes a moment to enjoy their freedom and remember those who protected it, Jim
I wish it was that simple. Looking at the VietNam period and the war on terror I see veterans getting used by something much bigger than the individual and not representing personal freedom. All good tho.

I tend to think if politicians want to go getting people killed why dont take just go out there and fight it themselves?

princealbertofb Wrote:While I commend your thoughts and the respect you show your vets, Jim (a noble pursuit), I wonder if your freedom isn't more in jeopardy than you think with the whacko politicians that seem to reign in your states... I don't think there's any vet there that fought on your own soil to guarantee those freedoms. They all seem to have been battles fought by groups in society. So my question is: what American freedoms did those vets actually fight for in foreign countries? Was America ever at risk of losing them in the first place? Methinks the real battle ground-s is / are not where it is / they are now but in your ballot boxes, people of America.

I understand what you're saying, and I can't help but reflect that even the most repressive societies (such as Iran) thank their soldiers for their "freedoms" but there are soldiers who stand up for American freedoms. Some of them are jailed. Some blow the whistle (granted this almost goes nowhere, and Obama comes down hard on whistleblowers just as Nixon did). Some of them recently threw their medals at NATO in an act of dissent and defiance.

However the corporate owned media (which serves more as lap dog than watch dog to the elites) almost never reports on these things in any meaningful way. And I think the reason why is the same today as given by United States Marine Corps Major General Smedley D. Butler in War is a Racket (that, and nearly all the American media and a good portion of the global media has become owned by the elites who decide who we get to vote on and the wars they get their pet politicians to fight so that when some reporter asks the hard questions s/he is reined in by his/her master or fired).

Nevertheless, don't let it be forgotten that there are soldiers who come home to stand up for us as well (even if as individuals or in non military groups) to defend our freedoms at home as well. Forgetting the dissidents and people like Gen. Butler is just making it easier to take away our freedoms in the name of defending them.

Thank you for your sacrifice.

[Image: Remember.gif]

Was America ever at risk of losing them in the first place? Methinks the real battle ground-s is / are not where it is / they are now but in your ballot boxes, people of America.

I included all wars, ww1, ww2, Korea, etc, I agree that we must be vigilante, voting for those who we think will do the best job and listen to the people they are supposed to be in office for, unfortunatly that sometimes means voting for the lesser of two evils rather than finding someone who can truly be an adovocate of the people. Please don't get me started on politics, Jim

I used to work for the military as an interpreter and was often caught up in the dilemma of being stuck between two countries with different opinions.
My thoughts and prayers go out not only to the U.S. military but all people who have had their lives influenced by war and the military.

princealbertofb Wrote:While I commend your thoughts and the respect you show your vets, Jim (a noble pursuit), I wonder if your freedom isn't more in jeopardy than you think with the whacko politicians that seem to reign in your states... I don't think there's any vet there that fought on your own soil to guarantee those freedoms. They all seem to have been battles fought by groups in society. So my question is: what American freedoms did those vets actually fight for in foreign countries? Was America ever at risk of losing them in the first place? Methinks the real battle ground-s is / are not where it is / they are now but in your ballot boxes, people of America.

Speaking as a four tour combat veteran, I can tell you it's not about Ideals. That's not why I fight. I fight for the men to my left and my right. They're the ones I'm protecting. In this world there are wolves, there are sheep, and there are sheep dogs. The sheep dogs protect the sheep from the wolves. I'm a sheep dog.
Since this thread is a Memorial Day thread, let me mention some of my beloved fellow sheep dogs who didn't come home from protecting the sheep.
SGT Diego A Solorzanovaldovinos West Paktika, Afghanistan
SSG Kenneth Keith McAninch West Paktika, Afghanistan
PFC Jordan M Byrd West Paktika, Afghanistan
1LT Donald C Carwile Wardak, Afghanistan
PFC Paul E Conlon Wardak, Afghanistan
SGT Isaac Palomarez Wardak, Afghanistan
SSG Emmanuel Legaspi Al Anbar, Iraq
SGT Mario Lopez Al Anbar, Iraq
SPC Eric Weideman Al Anbar, Iraq
You are gone but not forgotten my brothers.
Richard

Well said Ardus, I understand your loss as I have loss brothers in my 3 tours in nam, 5th sf, e8, Jim