Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farewell everyone :)
I think you mean the 16th arrondissement, Jake, but I get it...
The 16th département would be Charentes. Near the Atlantic Ocean.

Evidemment, mais on peut tous s'améliorer. (Of course, but we can all improve).

princealbertofb Wrote:I think you mean the 16th arrondissement, Jake, but I get it...
The 16th département would be Charentes. Near the Atlantic Ocean.

Yes I meant arrondissement, but how do you say it in English, it, not a county, a region, it's just a section of a city. I forgot that in France department's are just like provinces in Canada or States in the USA. So indeed it can confuse. I lived in Paris long ago, so it's not very stranger for me Smile. Interesting, I got in Charentes by mistake because the very first year I was in France I was at my aunt in La Rochelle and later on in Limousin (Limoge).

Limoges in in the Haute- Vienne département...
I don't know how to say arrondissement in English, but I suppose district could be a way of saying it. Paris is divided into 20 districts all of which have a mayorship and a town hall.

princealbertofb Wrote:Limoges in in the Haute- Vienne département...
I don't know how to say arrondissement in English, but I suppose district could be a way of saying it. Paris is divided into 20 districts all of which have a mayorship and a town hall.
Alright, I may have to revise my geopolitical knowledge of France before I get there LOL. District sounds about right.

princealbertofb Wrote:Paris is divided into 20 districts all of which have a mayorship and a town hall.
We did the very same few years ago on the island of Montreal, the north and south shores as well, however back then, those new districts were full blown cities on the island.

Jake Wrote:Yes I meant arrondissement, but how do you say it in English, it, not a county, a region, it's just a section of a city. I forgot that in France department's are just like provinces in Canada or States in the USA. So indeed it can confuse. I lived in Paris long ago, so it's not very stranger for me Smile. Interesting, I got in Charentes by mistake because the very first year I was in France I was at my aunt in La Rochelle and later on in Limousin (Limoge).

I have actually not been to that part of France, therefore don't know that coast so well. My latest visits to the Atlantic must date back almost 35 or 40 years. I've seen the Channel recently, though.

princealbertofb Wrote:CCRox, I think the correct phrase would be
Au revoir, vous allez cruellement nous manquer.
We don't use the passive voice that much in French.

God Bless Google. Xyxwave
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

princealbertofb Wrote:I have actually not been to that part of France, therefore don't know that coast so well. My latest visits to the Atlantic must date back almost 35 or 40 years. I've seen the Channel recently, though.

Well one of the thing I plan would be to take a year off, and go from north to south, from east to west of France so I get used with the geography of it. And off course, make a quick stop to the villages that use to belong to our family Smile. There's one called Chauvigny in Poitou Charente and this is a medieval village, but that particular village is the former lordship of our ancestors. Definitely have to go there Smile

Jake Wrote:Well one of the thing I plan would be to take a year off, and go from north to south, from east to west of France so I get used with the geography of it. And off course, make a quick stop to the villages that use to belong to our family Smile. There's one called Chauvigny in Poitou Charente and this is a medieval village, but that particular village is the former lordship of our ancestors. Definitely have to go there Smile

Of course. Nice. I am meaning to go and visit the Châteaux de la Loire one of these days, maybe when I retire. I would like to take Derek there with me. I hope he'll find them interesting.