Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Music Covers
FAVORITE MUSIC COVERS

So, I have not seen a thread on music covers, and I thought that was a gap that was worth filling. This thread isn't to invite arguments about who did the best version of a song. It is about the singers and bands who brought a new perspective to or revitalized a song. All music forms are welcome and genera crossovers are great too. Have fun with it.

I'll start out with three of my favorites.

The late great Jeff Buckley covering Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". I know Rufus Wainwright did a really great version, but for me, Buckley really captures the song and his vocals on it are ASTONISHING.

OK, so I never liked this song until I heard this version. I thought it was trite and cloying. But Johnny Cash, in my opinion, has the same ethereal quality of voice as Maria Callas. Both have the ability to take a song and imbue it with more emotion and reality than it has ever been sung with before. So, if you haven't heard this version before, turn up the nob on your speakers and hear this song for the very first time.

Finally, Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole's splicing of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" with "What a Wonderful World". What can I say. The song can make me go from an utter state of discouragement to totally rejuvenation and optimism--a beautiful rendering of two beautiful old songs.

Thats a cool thread, i will post some of mine.
i have to say that i love this cover of halleluja

the punk/rock version of somewhere over the rainbow which i love it!

I think almost everyone knows the song "the scientist" from coldplay but i like more this cover

Her voice is deeper and i think is better with the lyrics... Just my point of view Wink

Hands down my favorite cover is from Bettye LaVette...Love Reign...It chokes me up a bit when I hear it just from the raw energy she emits

Chaka Khan...Funny Valentine

No Doubt...Its My Life

..oh yeah...Love Tina Turners version of Help

Running Up that Hill is one of my favorite Kate Bush songs, but I also love Placebos' cover too, it just gets to me...

@GPBI: Thanks for sharing those GPBI, I love the Amy Mann cover. I hadn't heard it before. It is great.

I have liked that version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" for a while now. Have you ever heard Tori Amos doing it. She completely changes it up. She takes the longing in the song and moves it to the forefront rather than the dreamy quality which is most common. It is great.

@ East: Bettye LaVette covering "The Who" at the Kennedy Center Honors, awesome . . . and it looked like everone else was pretty happy with it too.

Jeff Buckley's version used to be my favourite cover of "Hallelujah" till I heard kd Lang sing it

Very few people have bettered The Beatles singing their own songs. Joe Cocker and the Grease Band managed "With A Little Help From My Friends". That scream OMG :eek:

this is a Cash song i love that he covered , "hurt" by Nine Inch Nails

Oh, cover versions.....

Love Child by Sweet Sensation.....originally done by The Supremes.

What Hurts the Most by Cascada .......originally done by Rascall Flatts.

Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy. .....originally done by Sting.

Eva's version got very little airplay, and unfortunately she died before she was able to see any major success. However, after in death, figure skater Michelle Kwan used Eva's version as an exhibition piece, getting a whole new audience for Eva. So much so that Eva's record company gave Michelle a copy of the single as a gold record award.

There is no video of the song, but here is Michelle Kwan's performance to it.

[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

@Inchante: I ve never heard this cover before and its really amazing... is really good!

Im adding the nirvana's version of the song Seasons in the sun.

imagine(john lennin cover) by APC
word up(cameo cover) by korn
only ones i can think of right now(sorry there's no links,but you can find on youtube anyways Rolleyes