Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite Albums
Christina A - Stripped
Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope
Jake Hook - SXY
Various Artist - Weeds Soundtrack Vol.1

SolemnBoy Wrote:[Image: neutel_rel_3.jpg]

^ 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea' by Neutral Milk Hotel. Indie rock/folk with pretty dark but nonetheless well-made lyrics. It was made in 1998 (I think) but a lot of modern music fans still obsess over it and for good reason.

Yes, I've spent my fair share time obsessing over this one as well. Holland 1945 and the Two Two Headed Boy songs in particular are both supply a fantastic emotional experience.

The single album I've listened to more than any is:

[Image: 215px-The_Book_of_Mormon_poster.jpg]

But my absolute favorite album of all time remains Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse.

[Image: 220px-MMLonesomeCrowdedWest.jpg]

Imagine if Holden Caulfield played guitar and sang. It absolutely drips with teenage angst, fearlessness and sadness. I think it's one of the most emotionally rich rock albums ever made (what a bold statement!) Very stripped down and under produced. It's like sitting in a garage listening to your friends play. It was my favorite when I was in high school and I go back and listen to every few months.

Wade Wrote:Yes, I've spent my fair share time obsessing over this one as well. Holland 1945 and the Two Two Headed Boy songs in particular are both supply a fantastic emotional experience.

The single album I've listened to more than any is:

[Image: 215px-The_Book_of_Mormon_poster.jpg]

But my absolute favorite album of all time remains Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse.

[Image: 220px-MMLonesomeCrowdedWest.jpg]

Imagine if Holden Caulfield played guitar and sang. It absolutely drips with teenage angst, fearlessness and sadness. I think it's one of the most emotionally rich rock albums ever made (what a bold statement!) Very stripped down and under produced. It's like sitting in a garage listening to your friends play. It was my favorite when I was in high school and I go back and listen to every few months.

Holland 1945 is one of my favourites from the album. Oh and Modest Mouse! I really need to check them out. From what I've heard their music is great.

According to my mp3's library:
The Knife: Deep Cuts, Silent Shout: An Audio Visual Experience
Muse: Showbiz, Origins of Simmetry
Britney: Blackout, In The Zone
Madonna: American Life, Confessions on a Dencefloor, Ray Of Lifght
Fever Ray: Fever Ray
Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Gorillaz: Gorillaz
Florence + The Machine: Lungs
Gwen Stefani: L.A.M.B.
Foo Fighters: Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
Sigur Ròs: Tàkk
Kasabian: Kasabian, Velociraptor
Santigold: Master of My Make Believe

...etc... Greatest Hits from HUGE-HUGE BANDS like Queen, MJ etc...

Sigur ros - takk
arcade fire - neon bible
Kubb - mother
the temper trap - conditions
Damien rice - o
Whitney Houston - greatest hits
hurts - exile
the Muppet Christmas carol (self-titled)
radiohead - the bends
muse - black holes and revelations
placebo - the singles
Many more. . . .

partisan Wrote:arcade fire - neon bible

Yes! Neon Bible is their best album I think but it seems to get the least love compared to Funeral or The Suburbs, which are both really good but not as consistent - Neon Bible is just 11 epic anthems one after the other.

Yeah i liked it :-) have to disagree about the suburbs though, I was really looking forward to that album, and remember pre-ordering it, which i dont do often, was really disapointed, I listened to it a few times thinking it might grow on me, but then one day i put it on and just realised I really didn't it - haven't heard funeral though, will look out for that one ",

Distance by Marconi Union. Really can't stop listening to this album.

Oh gurl, if it ain't OneRepublic, den it jus ain't right! Lol

Dreaming Out Loud
Waking Up
Native

and I like all their songs. They just are so on point. The band equivalent of Adele.

I also like Bach's Six Cello Suites, although not a conventional album, it's an album non-the-less. :-)

The Beatles - The White Album (Sgt Pepper is usually ranked higher, but I think THIS album is more conceptually, lyrically, and musically challenging and serves as a better reminder of who the Beatles were and why they were so great!)
The Cure - Disintegration (The Cure struggled with a recurrent identity crisis, but on Disintegration, all of the discordant pieces fell into place and a bit of magic was created)
David Bowie - Scary Monsters (This album is the bridge between artistically aloof Bowie and mainstream Bowie and has the best elements of both worlds in perfect harmony)
The Eagles- Hotel California (When an album title almost becomes synonymous with the group itself, you know that there is something special there)
Elvis Costello- This Year's Model (Elvis' second album is his best)
Fleetwood Mac- Rumours (Aside from being an incredible hit, this album was constructed flawlessly, a feat that this band was never able to do either before or after)
Heart- Little Queen (A brilliant sophomore album with a blend of songs and styles which would define this band for years to come. Instruments included flute, mandolin, and balalaika brilliantly juxtaposed with the rock landscape)
Jethro Tull- Aqualung (Ian Anderson was never better than on this outing)
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced? (All kneel before the one and only guitar god. What Jimi accomplished on this album is nothing short of miraculous)
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (Heavy on religious symbolism, this album exults in the gift of music as a kind of divine blessing. It doesn't get much better than that.)
King Crimson - Red (If for no other reason than "One More Red Nightmare", this is a must have album)
Led Zeppelin - 4 (My ultimate Zep album. Absolutely flawless.)
Marvin Gaye- What's Going On (This album is not only one of the best albums of all time but also one of the coolest. Every single song seems to slither under your skin and work its way into your soul...in a good way)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (One of the single most influential jazz records of all time. Brilliant!)
Nina Simone- Pastel Blues (A great album. Nina's version of Strange Fruit always gives me shivers and brings a tear to my eye)
Patti Smith- Horses (Musically- birthed in the same clubs as the Ramones and Blondie, Patti Smith both reflected and influenced punk rock and its move toward mainstream recognition, if not acceptance.)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (A classic album and career defining moment)
Prince- Controversy (The Purple One would later be celebrated for more mainstream albums like 1999 and Purple Reign, but this album was really his best. How can you resist a song like "Jack U Off"?)
Simon and Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water (Beautiful, lyrical and defining an era, this album is simply good music)
Talking Heads - Fear of Music (With songs like "Life During Wartime" this album still stands up today. Listen to it through and you will find every song is a timeless gem. Good stuff!)