Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite Albums
SolemnBoy Wrote:[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyV3Pkh2jWiflSNBIglNL...rbFtLFP8SW]

^ 'Archandroid' by Janelle Monáe. Honestly not sure how to define it since it jumps from lots of different genres but I think the official label is Neo-soul and Art pop. This is part 2 of a concept album the singer made that was inspired by Metropolis. It follows an android who's set to be disassembled for falling in love with a human. It's actually very far from the genres I usually listen to but I absolutely love this album... amazing singer too!

I love this album as well. Probably one of my favorites from the past couple of years.

Elton john Tumbleweed Connection. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is considered his top work. But this little album runs circles around it. I say the general public sucks as a whole when determining an artists best album, lol

Mick

Lalo Wrote:I love this album as well. Probably one of my favorites from the past couple of years.

Yay, more love for Janelle is always a good thing! She seems to be both mainstream popular and pretty obscure at the same time... oh well! I love some of the albums you had on your list too, mainly The Dark Side of the Moon. Listened to my first King Crimson album yesterday, though, (In the court of the Crimson King) and I loved it so I'll definitely check out Red.

Okay, I thought there was no way Björk's music would ever grow on me and become anything but overrated pretentious crap. This was around 5 years ago maybe, but I've been listening to some of her earlier albums and after a few listens I actually started appreciating the music... a lot! I love this album now:

[Image: 0000132512_500.jpg]

I'm in a state of extreeeeme surprise.

Lalo Wrote:The Beatles - The White Album (Sgt Pepper is usually ranked higher, but I think THIS album is more conceptually, lyrically, and musically challenging and serves as a better reminder of who the Beatles were and why they were so great!)
The Cure - Disintegration (The Cure struggled with a recurrent identity crisis, but on Disintegration, all of the discordant pieces fell into place and a bit of magic was created)
David Bowie - Scary Monsters (This album is the bridge between artistically aloof Bowie and mainstream Bowie and has the best elements of both worlds in perfect harmony)
The Eagles- Hotel California (When an album title almost becomes synonymous with the group itself, you know that there is something special there)
Elvis Costello- This Year's Model (Elvis' second album is his best)
Fleetwood Mac- Rumours (Aside from being an incredible hit, this album was constructed flawlessly, a feat that this band was never able to do either before or after)
Heart- Little Queen (A brilliant sophomore album with a blend of songs and styles which would define this band for years to come. Instruments included flute, mandolin, and balalaika brilliantly juxtaposed with the rock landscape)
Jethro Tull- Aqualung (Ian Anderson was never better than on this outing)
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced? (All kneel before the one and only guitar god. What Jimi accomplished on this album is nothing short of miraculous)
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (Heavy on religious symbolism, this album exults in the gift of music as a kind of divine blessing. It doesn't get much better than that.)
King Crimson - Red (If for no other reason than "One More Red Nightmare", this is a must have album)
Led Zeppelin - 4 (My ultimate Zep album. Absolutely flawless.)
Marvin Gaye- What's Going On (This album is not only one of the best albums of all time but also one of the coolest. Every single song seems to slither under your skin and work its way into your soul...in a good way)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (One of the single most influential jazz records of all time. Brilliant!)
Nina Simone- Pastel Blues (A great album. Nina's version of Strange Fruit always gives me shivers and brings a tear to my eye)
Patti Smith- Horses (Musically- birthed in the same clubs as the Ramones and Blondie, Patti Smith both reflected and influenced punk rock and its move toward mainstream recognition, if not acceptance.)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (A classic album and career defining moment)
Prince- Controversy (The Purple One would later be celebrated for more mainstream albums like 1999 and Purple Reign, but this album was really his best. How can you resist a song like "Jack U Off"?)
Simon and Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water (Beautiful, lyrical and defining an era, this album is simply good music)
Talking Heads - Fear of Music (With songs like "Life During Wartime" this album still stands up today. Listen to it through and you will find every song is a timeless gem. Good stuff!)

Oh my god please please PLEASE let me have your babies.

Oh lord, I could name so many.. a few of my favorites.. o.O

Daughter Darling - Sweet Shadows
The Cure - Disintegration
Ulver - Perdition City
Claire Voyant - Self Titled
Godhead - Power Tool Stigmata
Tracy Chapman - Let It Rain / Self Titled
Switchblade Symphony - Serpentine Gallery
Theatre of Tragedy - Aegis.
Placebo - Black Market Music
Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet
Hole - Live Through This
Crystal Castles - II
Scarling - So Long Scarecrow
Thriving Ivory - Self Titled
Bella Morte - The Quiet
Kittie - Oracle
Garbage - Self Titled
Smashing Pumpkins - Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness.
Emilie Autumn - Enchant
All My Faith Lost - As You're Vanishing in Silence
Eluveitie - Slania
Lana Del Ray - Born to Die
In Flames - Clayman / Colony
Scary Kids Scaring Kids - The City Sleeps in Flames
Flowing Tears - Jade
Queen Adreena - Taxidermy
Ruby Throat - The Ventriloquist

Lalo Wrote:Jethro Tull- Aqualung (Ian Anderson was never better than on this outing)

Oh I beg to differ good sir :biggrin:

While Aqualung is an excellent album, I will hand you that, Ian's solo stuff is simply amazing. Divinities, The Secret Language of Birds, Rupee's Dance.....wonderful albums! And the songs on them!

Old Black Cat makes me cry every time I hear it.
Panama Freighter is such a melancholic thing, but in a bittersweet way
In the Grip of Stronger Stuff....powerful....so powerful

Sorry to go on a tangent, but anytime Tull is mentioned, I spring to action. I am such a fan of theirs and will be to my dying day Smile

Miles Wrote:Oh my god please please PLEASE let me have your babies.

Well...I suggest that we at least try! It might take multiple attempts, but I say "Never surrender!" Smile

By the way, I can't be held responsible for what our children might look like...being part wolf and part sheep. Wolfgang

[Image: wolfsheep.jpg]

But let me out of this cage and we'll have a go at it, yes? :eyebrow-wiggle-smil

Perhaps this is a generation-related thing but I think The Beatles are very overrated. I'm not saying they're bad or anything (I do like most of their albums) but people give them way too much credit. As far as lyrics go they tend to be kind of simple and straightforward (or silly) and I just can't see the "zomg innovative and revolutionary musical techniques" some people are talking about. I also had some random guy from class tell me "Dude they invented the concept album" which is just... bullshit.

Oh well. I do listen to them every once in a while. Although their lyrics ain't got shit on Dylan and musically eh... prefer The Beach Boys.

SolemnBoy Wrote:Perhaps this is a generation-related thing but I think The Beatles are very overrated. I'm not saying they're bad or anything (I do like most of their albums) but people give them way too much credit. As far as lyrics go they tend to be kind of simple and straightforward (or silly) and I just can't see the "zomg innovative and revolutionary musical techniques" some people are talking about. I also had some random guy from class tell me "Dude they invented the concept album" which is just... bullshit.

Oh well. I do listen to them every once in a while. Although their lyrics ain't got shit on Dylan and musically eh... prefer The Beach Boys.

I don't even know how to.... what is this?

Oh well. To each his own. I guess it is hard to not think that the most celebrated band in history is to some degree overrated. I was obsessed with the Beatles in high school (as if I'm the only one, I know). I read every book on them I could find, watched every piece of media. For me what it all comes down to is this: There's only two bands I've ever heard that can make me feel a certain indescribable way; Modest Mouse and The Beatles. My teenage years would have been much more dull without them.