Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite Directors?
Okay so I'm a huge movie fanatic and I love discovering new directors whose work I can obsess over. So far these are probably some of my favourites:

Quentin Tarantino
Hayao Miyazaki
David Lynch
Tim Burton (At least some of the older stuff)
Satoshi Kon
Chan Wook-Park
Stanley Kubrick
Christopher Nolan
Darren Aronofsky

It looks like David Cronenberg might get a spot on the list, but I need to see more before I can decide. Do you guys have any favourites? Big Grin

definitely Stanley Kubrick, really want to see new documentary
Paul Thomas Anderson
Shane meadows
Quinton Tarrantino
I agree solemn boy, Burton's gone stale

partisan Wrote:definitely Stanley Kubrick, really want to see new documentary
Paul Thomas Anderson
Shane meadows
Quinton Tarrantino
I agree solemn boy, Burton's gone stale

There's a new documentary on Kubrick? Awesome, didn't know that!

I liked 'There Will be Blood' and I really want to watch 'Magnolia' but other than that I actually haven't seen anything by Paul Thomas Anderson.

As for Burton, he rarely tries anything new, which is okay because he was always good at making the same kind of film. However lately he seems a bit... uninspired. Frankenweenie was good though so let's just hope he's on the right track again! Smile

I think there are a some directors, someone has his style or genre.
For me, Martin Scorsese is probably the best living Director, but I love so much...
Quentin Tarantino
Hayao Miyazaki
The Coen Brothers
Gus Van Sant
Takeshi Kitano
Martin Scorsese

Stanley Kubrik
Fritz Lang (?)
Luc Besson (?)

I saw Andersons new one, had high hopes, after "there will be blood"
the film is "the master" Philip Seymour Hoffman is brilliant in it, and jaquin Phoenix, though still think "there will be blood" is his masterpiece, sometimes wonder if the name would put people off, its quite misleading and Anderson has a totally unique style, and music to his films, the radiohead guitarist done there will be blood

Thanks silly boy couldn't remember luc Bessons name, he's excellent, esp- Leon

When I try to think objectively, Martin Scorcese is probably one of the best directors out there. On a personal level, though, I like his movies but not as much as the ones from the other directors I mentioned. I totally forgot about the Coen brothers; their movies are excellent!

Gus Van Sant: Only seen 'Elephant' but it was good!

Luc besson: Only seen Leon but that one was great!

Fritz Lang: I REALLY need to get around to watching 'Metropolis' already...

Da Coen Brothers
Kubrick
Kevin Smith
Spike Lee
Gene Kelly
Terrence Malick
Milos Foreman

David Bowie's son did a great job with "Moon."

Coen Brothers
Ang Lee
Terrence Malick
David Cronenberg
Steven Spielberg- This last one got me into an argument with a friend, who belittled him for his "schlocky, pop films". But I have to point out that aside from his long list of those types of films (which are great entertainment in and of themselves) Spielberg is also responsible for directing movies like: The Color Purple, Schindler's List, Amistad, Empire of the Sun, Munich, War Horse, Lincoln, and Saving Private Ryan.

Lalo Wrote:Coen Brothers
Ang Lee
Terrence Malick
David Cronenberg
Steven Spielberg- This last one got me into an argument with a friend, who belittled him for his "schlocky, pop films". But I have to point out that aside from his long list of those types of films (which are great entertainment in and of themselves) Spielberg is also responsible for directing movies like: The Color Purple, Schindler's List, Amistad, Empire of the Sun, Munich, War Horse, Lincoln, and Saving Private Ryan.

Empire of the Sun: One of my favorite movies of all the times.