• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite Directors?
Guilmerro Del toro

david lynch
francis ford coppola
quentin tarantino
miike takashi

and lots of other less cliche people ~~

Yeah, Miike is not a favourite of mine but he's very... interesting. Loved Audition :3

megumidesu Wrote:david lynch
francis ford coppola
quentin tarantino
miike takashi

and lots of other less cliche people ~~

Oh...David Lynch also makes my list. I forgot him.

A lot of people seem to like Quentin Tarantino. Although I find some aspects of his direction to be flawless, I really think that he overplays "shock value" by using foul language and gore. Ultimately I think that "shock" art, in any medium, is really kind of tedious more than it is titillating or insightful. It is more of a manipulative, cheap trick than it is an addition to the plot. I also thinks that it is a tool to compensate for the insecurities of a talented director who really doesn't believe in himself too strongly. (Just my opinion)

I think i mentioned tarantino, because i watched inglorius bastards and it blew me away, though i agree he does rely on violence too much, there were bits in that film i didnt think, there needed to be, also I don't think his filmographys that good, I find him hit and miss, hated deathproof?
How can you love audition solemn boy, that film scarred my fragile little mind ",

Lalo Wrote:Coen Brothers
Ang Lee
Terrence Malick
David Cronenberg
Steven Spielberg- This last one got me into an argument with a friend, who belittled him for his "schlocky, pop films". But I have to point out that aside from his long list of those types of films (which are great entertainment in and of themselves) Spielberg is also responsible for directing movies like: The Color Purple, Schindler's List, Amistad, Empire of the Sun, Munich, War Horse, Lincoln, and Saving Private Ryan.

Everbodys always willing to put down Spielberg cos he's the top guy, I defend him too, A.I, was so good and that really went under the radar, he done it from unfinished Kubrick project, though I wasn't impressed with warhorse as I'd like to been, it was so "neat"

I like Audition because it manages to completely shock and repulse you without being unnecessarily excplicit. It's got this Texas Chainsaw Massacre thing going on where the actual content isn't nearly as grisly as it seems, but comes off as way more gruesome because of creative direction.

As for Tarantino: he likes violence. It entertains him for one reason or another and he's far from alone. I can understand why some people believe he goes overboard (Kill Bill Volume 1, for example) but then again others (like me) find that carefully directed violence can be... pretty cool. I don't think it has to be a sign of a "weaker director" or "lack of talent" as the scripts in Tarantino movies tend to be amazing. There's this misconception that it doesn't always take much to achieve high entertainment value. Of course it does! Creating a thought-provoking piece of fiction dealing with some fundamental aspect of humanity is just as much an achievement as a carefully-made and entertaining piece of escapism.

David Lynch
Stanley Kubrick
Alfred Hitchcock
Terry Gilliam
Luis Bunuel
Errol Morris
John Waters
Takashi Mike
Ingmar Bergman
Jean Cocteau
Dario Argento

Roman Polanski? :O nobody's even mentioned him! I'm shocked. I'd say he's one of the top guns of psychological horror

Lilitu Wrote:Roman Polanski? :O nobody's even mentioned him! I'm shocked. I'd say he's one of the top guns of psychological horror

How true you are! Repulsion is a masterpiece!

Rosemary's Baby as well....never before have I seen such a flawless book-to-film adaptation as that movie